Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinkin of switching to a one-piece driveshaft. How do I do this? Has anyone here done this? What does it entail?

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
You'll need to find a machine shop that does them and have it made up.

Been probably 20 years since I've had one made up, but I'm guessing 2 - 300 bucks at todays rates.

Jim

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
I took my two piece in and had them re-tube it using the same ends and the same u-joints. Cost 140 dollars. No more vibes.

Joe

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I had my Passport driveshaft done about 6 mos ago. Fortunately, I had a spare shaft that I took in to have re-tubed, so my truck wasn't down. I took in the shaft, and a measurement of flange to flange at ride height. I think it ended up costing about $260 including new u-joints.

HIH,
Andre

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok here's the plan. I'm going to go to a junkyard and grab a driveshaft off a 1st gen there, and then take it to a shop for retubing. This way the truck will have no down time. What tools do I need to yank the shaft off? And is there anything special that I should do to prepare for future installation of Tera-Lows?

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
What tools do I need to yank the shaft off?
Nothing special. I would just wrenches and sockets. I don't remember the size, but it's pretty standard. Some of the bolts may be tough to break loose, but if you're able, put it in neutral and rotate the shaft to get a better angle. Then put it back in gear.

And is there anything special that I should do to prepare for future installation of Tera-Lows?
if you have an automatic, and the donor vehicle is auto, you could take the T-case. That would let you install the gears on your work bench, and then swap cases. If you have a manual, the T-case can not be separated from the tranny, so nothing you can do at this point.

HIH,
Andre

·
Registered
188 Posts
Texastrooper when do you need this driveshaft i have a complete one you can have just pay shipping and it's yours, i am in california. take care Don

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
What I did was remove rear driveshaft. Lock front hubs, put truck in 4 high. Drive to www.inlandtruck.com their local shop. Have them measure length needed, they retubed the driveshaft. Picked up later that day, cost 90 bucks. Drive home get the anglegrinder out. Remove carrier bearing suport out of the crossmember. Install newly retubed driveshaft. Unlock front hubs :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Do you have some pictures of the driveshaft that shows how its mounted to the transmission?
Do you still have the rubber coupling in front of the shaft?
Or did you also change the yoke that engages with the transmission output shaft?

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok, here it is. All thanks goes to Don (DV Trooper). He cut up his old shaft and sent me the end pieces at no cost via ups. This act of kindness afforded me no down time to my daily driver. I had it retubed with new ujoints. On the install, I eliminated the carrier bearing with a torch. I was meticulous enough to keep the upper support that attatches to the body. With all of the sparks flying, the underbody caught on fire sporadically during the process. :twisted: A hose was a necessary safety measure.

Thanks again Don.[/img]

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Hey, good for ya Alex.

I'm guessing that got rid of your shudder.

Jim

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.