Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought what was advertised as a slightly used pair ( >10K miles ) pair of OME 912s and installed on my Rodeo last summer.

Everything I read said they they would give me pretty much 3" spot on of lift. The first thing I noticed after the install was that the supposed "progressive" part of the spring was already 100% compressed (could not slip paper between them) with just the empty vehicle weight, so what good is that? No progressiveness in these springs at all.

Next thing I noticed is that I didn't get 3" of lift, after a few days when I was sure they where seated and settled I measure the lift at only 2.25". Oh well I though, I can live with that, and I adjusted the front accordingly to have a half inch rake to the front.

Fast forward, and the last month or so it started to seem to me that my rear end was looking lower then the front, so I emptied the Rodeo and measured again, sure enough the back has dropped another half an inch or so. As it stands now it seems my OME 912 springs only gave less then 2" of lift. ( I even checked my tires with a tread gauge figuring maybe their wear was creating an optical illusion, and my tires have only worn 1/16th" since summer )

So what gives, I am planning on stepping up to 265/75 tires this spring/summer and was counting on having 3" of extra space. Did I get a faulty set? Was I lied to about their previous use? Why is the "progressive" part so wimpy?

I really am baffled since everyone else seems to love them. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
It does sound like they are worn a little more than usual. But sometimes it can be an optical illusion, when you see your truck everyday it can start to look lower. That happens to me all the time.

Since you measured it though, I bet the guy you got em from hauled alot of stuff, or its even possible they are 913's or 929's.

Was there a tag on the coils?

·
Registered
176 Posts
I'm slightly disappointed as well. One of my 919s have sagged more than the other. So now one side of my truck is about an inch higher than the other. I bought these new and I have less than 2 years and 10,000 miles on these. After winter I will be sending them in under warranty for a new pair. Not sure why it happened though. I've only loaded them up one or two times and even than it was just dirt bikes on a trailer.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The coils where tagged 912.

To those who have installed new 912s on 2nd gen Rodeos, does the progressive part of the coil compress completely under the empty vehicle weight? The fact that mine did, along with their seemingly premature sagging makes me kind of believe they where worn out before I got them.

I was told they had > 10,000 miles under another Rodeo on them... it seems odd, but with no proof I'm not going to call anyone a liar.

Then again maybe it is a quality control issue, since Proptied said his seem to be worn down in only 10,000 miles. Perhaps there are a few that slip through quality control, or they got a sub par batch of steel or something.

*shrugs* I'll probably just end up adding a 1" coil spacer come summer when I get new tires.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
I just looked at mine and you couldn't slide a piece of paper through it.

Mine are about 3-4 years old bought brand new.

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
You could go with the grand Cherokee option like I did. A set of the v8 fronts will ride really nice. You have the option of adding a small pipe on the axle coil perch and putting the small end down. My amigo came with the 912's and the ride was way stiffer. I'm running 6 cyl ones in the back of mine at the moment. Same demensions just a little thiner material.

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
Springs often sag some over time. OMEs are better than most at resisting sag, but sometimes they do too.

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
Another thing I could add is the jeep coils are longer which in turn will give you more down travel with longer shocks. Unfortunately it's still limited by the upper left control arm hitting the gas tank in the rodeo's and amigo's. But even at full droop the coil is still giving some tension, keeping it from popping out. One question never really addressed is at full compression do the ome's coil bind before the bump stop gets mushed ?? My point is not just a taller stance/lift , but more suspension travel as well...

·
Registered
397 Posts
It's normal for the OME lift to be under 3". A majority of the lift applications are rated at 1-2.5" lift depending on the vehicle. I think the Montero lift was only rated at .75" yet actual lift was closer to 1.25". Maybe you should check what the ARB website lists the specs at before getting too disappointed. OME keeps their modifications mild for durability, handling and longevity.

·
Registered
390 Posts
My ome 912 springs gave about 2.5 inches on 1 side and about 2 inches on the other. I havent checked the progressive coils yet, but pretty sure they have not sagged much in 2 years. Mine rides VERY HARD. No thanks in part to the E rated tires, but Im sure the springs and shocks are not real plush either. I got mine new, and pretty sure the ome springs are a fair bit stiffer then the factory stock front torsion bars. Without more experience in suspension setups, I cant really criticize the ome springs. Tires I got are a harsh ride, and I think the rancho shocks lack finesse as well. It would cost me probably 1000 bucks to change tires and shocks to see if it rides any better...

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
I ran the 912's in my amigo at first ,then with the lift switched to the jeep coils and it was noticeably softer. I guess I setup the front axle using them and drove for a bit that way. But to me they ate a bit stiff... For a four door and hauling weight they would be a benifit... The length of them is close to stock though, so travel can't be changed to much.

·
Registered
928 Posts
bradzuzu said:
I ran the 912's in my amigo at first ,then with the lift switched to the jeep coils and it was noticeably softer. I guess I setup the front axle using them and drove for a bit that way. But to me they ate a bit stiff... For a four door and hauling weight they would be a benifit... The length of them is close to stock though, so travel can't be changed to much.
Do ya have to make any modifications to the spring before putting it in? I'd be interested in these, cuz I don't love having a spacer AND a spring being the only option to achieve over 2" of lift on a 2nd gen trooper
How much lift would it give to the troopers, does anybody know?

PS got any part #s?

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
For the troopers you need to get the grand Cherokee front coils V8 ones since the trooper coils are longer. I would suggest welding a 2-1/2" by 2" upright nipple (pipe chunk) or what ever size it is that fits the small end of the coil. The nice thing about this is, you can switch to a standard coil and it's out of the way.

This is my front axle with the nub not in use.

This is my rear axle showing the welded on piece and the coil sitting on top of the pad/perch...
That in itself gains about 2"s from the factory resting point... With the extra weight of my bumper, I did have to build some spacers for the top, or chose to instead of going with a v8 coils.

I can't remember how much lift or spacing I built that to have. I think 2"s maybe...

·
Registered
267 Posts
Sags said:
The coils where tagged 912.

To those who have installed new 912s on 2nd gen Rodeos, does the progressive part of the coil compress completely under the empty vehicle weight? The fact that mine did, along with their seemingly premature sagging makes me kind of believe they where worn out before I got them.

I was told they had > 10,000 miles under another Rodeo on them... it seems odd, but with no proof I'm not going to call anyone a liar.

Then again maybe it is a quality control issue, since Proptied said his seem to be worn down in only 10,000 miles. Perhaps there are a few that slip through quality control, or they got a sub par batch of steel or something.

*shrugs* I'll probably just end up adding a 1" coil spacer come summer when I get new tires.
I've had the 912's in my rodeo for about 6 months now, while they are pretty harsh, its rides like a dream when towing. I'd rather ride a little rough empty and not have to worry about how my rig will handle a trailer.
I've probably got close to 70 pounds of extra weight that stays in the back in the form of amp/sub/box and I could slip a piece of paper through mine, but it wouldn't be easy. Even loaded I'm right at 3" of lift over stock.

·
Registered
95 Posts
bradzuzu: I'm thinking about putting a suspension lift on my 98 Amigo. I want cheap, and to do nothing with the front other than crank the torsions and still be able to get an alignment. Where does that put me? 2, 3 inches?
What year Grand Cherokee springs? Do the V6 and V8 springs give the same lift height? Please reply. Thanks!

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
The v8 ones are thicker and carry more weight.. You can cut the small coil end out and use the spring in the factory mounts.. That would probly lift about 2-2-1/2"s

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
Ya front coils only , the rear jeep ones are short and larger diameter than ours... The 2wd dodge front coil spacers can be used too !! Gizmo confirmed that ...

·
Registered
95 Posts
Thank you.
Sorry, what I meant was will the stock torsions and A-arms accommodate the lift in the rear? Is there enough room to equal the 2.5" lift and still get the front tires properly aligned with the stock a-arms??

1 - 20 of 31 Posts