Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm ready to put on the OME Springs..but before I order them..I'd like to know which spring rate to purchase. I'll be using this as a DD with minor off roading but I do occasionally tow a 3200lb trailer..so should I go with heavier rate springs?? Thanks much

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
Probably 912s or 919s, 929s are probably a bit much.

912s are a little stiffer than stock but ride very nice and are great for a DD. 919s are rated for +220 lb load, and 929s are +440 lbs. 929s are great for expedition vehicles with lots of extra stuff loaded on, 919s are a good compromise between the two. Both 919s and 929s will give you closer to 2" of lift, versus 1" for the 912s.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
This is great info. Thanks. I've been thinking along the same lines. New springs front and rear and shocks for my RS.

BigSwede said:
Probably 912s or 919s, 929s are probably a bit much.

912s are a little stiffer than stock but ride very nice and are great for a DD. 919s are rated for +220 lb load, and 929s are +440 lbs. 929s are great for expedition vehicles with lots of extra stuff loaded on, 919s are a good compromise between the two. Both 919s and 929s will give you closer to 2" of lift, versus 1" for the 912s.

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
Your 89 RS has rear leaf springs, so that info is not gonna work for you...I believe OME does make replacement leaf springs too though.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Thank you bigswede. I do know that my RS has leafs; I presumed that OME made leafs, but I'm not sure. Need to do more research.

BigSwede said:
Your 89 RS has rear leaf springs, so that info is not gonna work for you...I believe OME does make replacement leaf springs too though.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok..now that I'm kinda sold on the 919's...what's the install procedure..do I try to fit a spring compressor up there...or is there some sort of trick..

and will my Monroe Sense-Tracs still work in the rear with 919's..thanks guys..

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
It is pretty easy... do one side at a time. Disconnect the sway bar and shock, then jack the **** out of that side from the frame, not the axle. This is much easier if you have a hi-lift jack and sliders to jack on. You will need to lift one side until it seems like the Trooper is at a 45 degree angle, but at some point the stock coil will fall out, or come loose so you can pull it out anyway. Jack it a little higher and install the 919. The tight windings go up, you will see how the bottom of the spring fits the lower mount. If your jack capacity is limited you can gain a little by removing the wheel on your side so the axle can droop lower. Drop 'er back down, reconnect sway bar and shock. Do the same for the other side.

To disconnect the sway bar, insert a thin open end wrench into the boot area of the link. There are two flat spots on that link that will allow the wrench to hold the link still so the bolt can be removed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts