Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've got an old '88 Jeep Wagoneer that I've had sitting doing nothing for years. A few days ago my youngest son and I went out to get some parts out of it and found a huge mess. Apparently, one or more rats have been living in it for a very long time, judging from the mess. We didn't see any sign of them inside the vehicle, so we decided to go out today (out of school for President's day, apparently) and pull it around front and decide whether to get it running, or start pulling parts. We got it in front of the garage and were starting to clean it out when an enormous rat poked his head out from under the driver's seat. I couldn't catch him, and my son didn't want to try, so we went and got our 7 year old gelding cat (it's just funny to me when I say it that way), tossed him inside, and are awaiting results, if any. He's well fed and doesn't need to work for his dinner, but he'll still catch the odd field mouse here and there, so I'm hoping he'll solve the origin of the problem for me.

All else aside, you guys simply wouldn't believe the mess inside. Must be over 100 pounds of bark, acorns, corn cobs, rat crap, chewed wires, etc. Going to be a terrible pain to clean up. Not sure what I'll do with this old Jeep now, might end up pulling the drivetrain and putting it in something Isuzu.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
sounds like the start of a SAS to me :D assuming it's a 4w wagon with passenger off set....

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
-88- said:
sounds like the start of a SAS to me :D assuming it's a 4w wagon with passenger off set....
Yep, 4 door wagoneer, power seats/windows, rear glass. I've got all the trim, grill, lights, etc. I'd hate to scrap it, honestly, but if I rob the drivetrain that's all it'll be good for. I pulled off a valve cover today and started taking off the intake and head bolts. Didn't notice anything amiss until I got the second head bolt out and realized they're 1/2" bolts, which I've never seen in an AMC, so I did some checking and found it's probably a transplanted 390 and not a 360, and this poses a couple of problems. First, is that if it needs more than .030, I'll probably have to sleeve it back to STD. Second, is that if I do rob the drivetrain, I'm going to have to find a '70 Rebel or Javelin or something to put that motor in, and I can't really afford one.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bansil said:
well it's been 2 days...hows the cat :mrgreen:
It was uneventful. The cat just sat on the top of the seat and looked around for awhile, waiting for someone to open the door so he could get out and back to his food dish. My fault, I suppose, for removing his jewels when he was a youngster. But at the time he was in the house as much as not and I didn't want him spraying. He'll catch a field mouse or something once in awhile, but apparently wasn't interested in tackling a good sized rat. Had it been a cat we had many years ago (his name was simply "Yellow Cat"), it would've been over in seconds. Yellow Cat was a psychopathic, murderous thing that even made me a little uncomfortable sometimes. I remember once, waking up early in the morning for no reason and turned on the light on my night stand only to see this crazy cat perched on the headboard of my bed, staring at me and licking his chops. I'm sure he wasn't planning on jumping me, of course, but it left me a little uncomfortable to sleep with my bedroom door open for a few days.

Anyway, since I can't get the rat out of the Jeep, I just left the doors open. He'll come out eventually, and when he does Audrey (my GSD) will solve the problem pretty quick. She's under strict orders to leave deer, squirrels, cats, rabbits and cattle (and now ferrets) alone, but rats, *****, coyotes, possums and trespassing dogs are all on the "Fair Game if You Can Catch It Before It Leaves The Yard" list.

I've been pretty sick the last several days, or I'd have gotten my lazy butt out there and killed it myself.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts