Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Bone stock 1989 Trooper S 2.8.
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Coming back after many years. Finally found another first gen Trooper to call my own. It's a 1989 with the 2.8 GM V6.

I'm in Thomasville, NC (near Greensboro).

In general it's in good shape for a $600 rig. 4 wheel works good, although there MIGHT be a skip somewhere. I only feel it once in a while. Heck, could be the exhaust clanging around. Has some rust in the rocker panels, above the rear wheel well, and at the base of one wheel well. I'll tackle those when it's not so hot.

EVERYTHING squeaked when I got it! I put en entire mini tube of grease in various fittings. And the right torsion bar needs to be too tight to make it level. Not sure what that's about.

2.8 seems solid. Good oil pressure, no smoke. I know they're a terrible engine, but it has enough power for me. I don't care about performance, I just love driving the things. Feels more "Jeep like" than my CJ-5.

Even got the old R-12 AC going - not bad at all, actually. It kinda gives up past 90 with the southern humidity, but hey, whaddyawant?

My first battle is finding all those little pieces and parts you can't get from Amazon: New rear bumper (this one has a PERFECT 8 inch semicircle bashed into it), wing window weatherstripping, hood prop grommets and snaps. And whatever those little things are hold the grill on - all mine are missing and I'm using zip ties.

Weird thing: My clutch keeps "tightening up", and I have to release some fluid to get it to keep from slipping. Maybe one a week? Anyone else have that problem? It has new master and slave cylinders, maybe the PO put in the wrong ones?

But it's a great project for a semi-retired guy. I feel guilty driving it instead of my Prius but, well, not much. :)

·
Registered
Original owner, 1983 P'up LS (diesel)
2,714 Posts
Welcome back. Is there an old user account here that would help us know who you are?

Jack

·
Registered
Bone stock 1989 Trooper S 2.8.
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm sure not. I only had my first Trooper II for about 6 months back in 2007 when I had to sell it (for $100!) to some VERY happy high school kids. But I've never forgotten it. I think my account is from later when I was helping our friends with their Trooper (270k miles and still a daily driver).

My first Trooper was just a cheap used car I found. This one is a longer term commitment.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts