Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read in a couple places that some people have a preference for using Mobile synthetic oil in their Troopers. I've never seen an explanation about why this is. This may be a dumb question :? but ... What is the benefit in using synthetic oil vs regular oil and why the Mobile brand in particular? In the stuff I've read, I haven't seen any other brand mentioned.

How often should we change the oil? I've heard arguements both ways about the 3000 miles rule-of-thumb. Some people say that the 3000 miles is a myth. And how often should we be checking the oil level?

I just found out today the the Trooper we bought my daughter as a replacement for the one she wrecked was not maintained very well. (That's an understatement! :evil: ) Since I'm about to pour a bunch of $$ into what now seems to be a money pit...I want to make sure we maintain it properly. So I wanted to get some answers from you guys before I tell my daughter what I expect her to do to keep her Trooper in good shape.

Thanks!!

Kacey

·
Registered
175 Posts
To help you properly a little more info is needed(what year Trooper/motor). All vehicles need to have the oil checked on a regular basis. That being said, the 98+ Troopers have the new 3.5L motor design. They are known for going through oil more quickly than many owners are prepared for. There are several thoughts as to why the motors go through oil, but the main concept has to deal with the oil drain back holes. Someone with more technical knowledge can chime in and give you the technical explanation. If you do own a 98+ Trooper just know that the oil needs to be checked at least once a week or with every fill up. Oil consumption (in those that do burn oil, not all do) is higher at prolonged highway speeds (ie. 70 mph for a long trip) Most folks will also agree that if properly maintained the motors will perform well and last a long time.

Some other common things to be done is to change the PCV valve at regular intervals and maintain the EGR tube. Do a search on the site for PCV or EGR and you will find a huge amount of information on both subjects. I have read many posts on people's choice for oil and never gotten any conscences as to why Mobile 1 is chosen, I just go with the flow... Many people swear buy it! (I have been using it in my 98 Trooper for 20k miles now and and my oil consumption is still higher than I would like, but better than when I was running conventional oil.) HTH

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
In a 2.6l engine, I see no reason to not run regular oil. You won't ever have an oil consumption problem, unless the engine is truely worn out. The lifters on your engine are solid, so you won't get oil-induced valve noise. Oh, and it might leak (more) on synthetic).

-Tad

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ive read many Isuzu forums- Trooper, Vehicross, etc. Armed with this and personal preference, I use Mobil 1 in all four of my vehicles and my lawnmowers. The reason is simple. Amsoil the the absolute best but very expensive ($8.00 a qt) and only available through a distributor. It lasts longer, protects better, better cold start protection, lower viscosity per weight, etc. in all circumstances. Mobil 1 is the best alternative and available at Walmart in a 5 quart container for $20.00. The truck is conveniently needing 5 quarts also- bulletproof! I do use Amsoil in every other part of the truck (f and r diffs, tranfer case, transmission) since they arent serviced very often. When I did f and r diffs in the Vehicross with Amsoil it went up 40 miles extra per tank of gas. The Trooper didnt notice the same results, but it also doesnt run in TOD all the time is the conclusion I came up with.The exception the engine has Mobil 1 is because of more frequent oil changes since I drive 100 miles a day round trip to work, and since I always run to walmart for things on the weekends, its easy to pick it up while im there. But as always these are personal observations!

·
Registered
894 Posts
I think the answer to the original question (why the preference for Mobil1 by Isuzu owners?) is that the 3.2 engines tended to tick. To try and solve this without spending their own money Isuzu issued a TSB calling for the use of Mobil1 0-30w oil.

Why Isuzu chose Mobil1 I have no idea. Why they choose a very light weight is to get the most slippery oil possible. Why they choose a synthetic is probably because it works better/longer.

Just my $.02 on the history.

As to what you should do, you can not go wrong checking you oil level every gas fillup. If you have a 3.5 that may be a very good idea. Most other engines this is no doubt overkill, but free overkill except for your time.

As to synthetic or dino based, that argument is never ending. The main two camps are dino every 3k or synthetic for maybe twice that long. Many other opinions also have NUMEROUS supporters and detractors.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Synthetic oil is basically more superior. Advantages:

- Higher film strength means that you can run thinner oil which is easier to pump, in turn, it gives the engine less pumping losses which results less gasoline to burn and slight increase in power. The higher film strength also means that the oil doesn't break down easily.

- Very stable in high/low temperature, means it less likely to break down. Viscosity is held better. Cold starts are easier and better protection when running at redline.

- It cleans better than petroleum.

Now the disadvantages:

- All the superior characteristics somehow means higher price. Mobil1 synthetic is easily 3-4x the price of regular petroleum based oils. *BUT*, oil change interval is extended. I change motor oil on cars that don't get raced at 10k miles. The Vette got its oil once a year (right before hibernation to keep acid getting stored in the oil pan), but then again it gets driven only 4k miles a year.

- If you have an old engine with worn out oil seals and it already leaks oil, generally it's not a good idea to switch to synthetic. In an old engine, the sludge left by petroleum-based oil actually helps sealing the oil from escaping. If you put synthetic oil, all this sludge will be washed away. Resulting in an engine that leaks like a sieve.

Depending on the condition of the engine, you might want to use synthetic oil. I switched the Amigo to synthetic at 85k miles, the Lexus at 110k miles, Golf at around 100k miles and none of them leaks/burns oil.

Which synthetic ? Well, Mobil1 is already an overkill. Yes, you can buy much more expensive oil but I believe it's a waste of money. Buy Mobil1 at Sam's Club, less than $4 a qt. Another thing you can do is to use a good oil filter. I wouldn't recommend Fram. My favorite is Purolator Pure One or if you can spring twice the price, go with Mobil1 filter.

Interval ? I wouldn't recommend more than 10k miles. Why ? Because the additive package in a motor oil gets depleted. This additive package consists of several things including a chemical compound that neutralizes acid that's produced within the combustion chamber. The film strength may not change much over 10k miles, so are several others.

People would argue to just use petroleum-based oil and change it often. That may keep the engine clean, but won't protect the bearings/rings due to lower strength film and certainly won't give you the luxury to run thinner viscosity. A 10k mile interval will save you roughly two oil changes over 3k mile interval. I still think it's more economical to run synthetic and you get the extra protection.

Hopefully this answers your questions.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I've always put 5w-30 synthetic in the amigo with a Purolator Pure One filter at around 3000 miles. I've been using valvoline for a year or so now. Two more cents.

·
Registered
558 Posts
in my 1.8L pick up and mt 2.6L trooper i have always just run the Napa brand oil and filters. I know thier filters are alot better than most becouse they cost about the same and have an anti drain back valve (just a rubber flap over the inlet) so theres always oil in the filter and almost never a dry start. For me, i check my oil when ever i think of it, could be everyday or once a week. I always change my oil at 3K and have never had any ring problems. I know a few people who have done changes at 5and 6k and whith 100,000 on the clock they blow blue smoke on start up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.