Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, this might be off topic, sorry if it is.

I have a 90 Storm that has the Isuzu 4XE1 SOHC motor. I had to replace the oil pump because the timing tensioner bolt hole is in the pump and it broke off. The pump has grooves around the oil passages that appear to be for o-rings. The Haynes manual mentions o-rings, but the factory manual does not. The GM parts diagram does not show o-rings. The old pump has some kind of black goo in the grooves which I can't tell whether it is RTV or the remains of o-rings. There are no grooves on the block.

Long story short, I have gotten 2 replacement pumps, one beck/arnley and one topline from importperformanceparts.net. The beck/arnley came with nothing and the topline came with a gasket. No gasket came off the old pump. Phil at Flatlander Racing says that the gasket will not last and that I need the o-rings. But I can't find the o-rings anywhere. They are a weird size and very thin, and I've been to two parts houses and through all their o-rings and none are even close.

I emailed Melling and Beck Arnley and got no reply and the GM dealer says that the o-rings probably come with the pump since they are not shown separately (but he can't guarantee it, and I have to prepay $200 for the pump, expensive gamble). For now, I put ultrablack RTV in the o-ring grooves and used the gasket. Does anyone here have any suggestions? I was thinking maybe Isuzu had similar engineering on some of their other motors. I still don't even know if o-rings go on there or not because of the ambiguous information out there. Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I would trust the factory manual over the Haynes manual everytime. The Haynes books are a good reference but they are for multiple years and IMO are not well checked for errors.

I have found numerous "mistakes" in my Rodeo manual by Haynes. With your VIN the dealer parts dept should be able to pull up an exploded diagram of the oil pump and tell you if it needs o-rings or not.

Sometimes the dealer parts people just dont know how to use the fiche app on their computer very well and just need some encouragement.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I finally got ahold of someone who rebuilt one of those motors and he said it had no o-rings. Guess I'm going with the gasket. Thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts