Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 00 trooper 1 month ago. This weekend, there was a rattle in the engine on the highway. As i was starting to pull over, the engine went dead. NO oil pressure light or ANYTHING else. THE ENGINE SEIZED! There was not an ounce of oil in the motor. I checked the oil a couple of days after bringing it home and it was fine. I figured I was good for a while. I did about 2000kms (1200miles) and apparently that was enough to burn ALL the oil. I might not be a mechanic but when there's no oil in the engine, should the oil pressure light not come on???
I just started dealing with the dealership here in Montreal this so i don't know the outcome yet. One thing for sure, there is a problem that is not isolated to my truck. I've collected up to 20 posts on various boards till now all with the same problem. On about half of them, isuzu replaced the engine when it was burning too much oil or was damaged as a result of oil loss. Apparently it is an oil ring problem and they've tried to cut their losses by saying that oil loss of 1qt per 1000miles is acceptable and anything over that they will look at. Sounds like a number based more on a financial model rather than a customer service model...

The frustrating thing is that if i was told to look out for such a potential problem, i would have, and would have probably happily spent too much money on oil just because i loved the truck so much. My love will now depend on what they do for me and i'm certainly not going down without a fight.If anyone has ANYTHING that could help, then please do so. It's abundantly clear that this is a recurring problem that isuzu is well aware of and the more info and examples i have, the less chance i'll get screwed. So if anyone has any kind of info, i would truly appreciate it. I have about 20 posts on varioyus boards, a service bulletin number RE oil consumprion...looking for more.

Thanks much.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Howdy. Just wanted to reply since no one else had. Basically, yes, this seems to be a common problem. If enough people complain there will be a recall on the motor. So, my suggestion would be to find a group of people trying to start a class action suit. Let your voice be heard. Unfortunately, in the short run you are stuck with trying to deal with the damn thing. From what I hear, Isuzu has fixed the problem and if you were to get a NEW motor, the problem probably wouldn't come up again.

To answer your question, yes, the oil light should have come on. Remember, this light is also called the "buy a new engine" light. It should come on when there is NO (0-5psi) oil pressure. If you ever see it you want to stop immediately and pull over. Always carry extra fluids with you, regardless of how new your vehicle is. Also, when you start the motor, if it takes longer and longer for the oil light to go off, check your oil. This is usually the first tell tale sign.

Have you checked for other leaks on the motor? Are you sure it was burning off and not dripped out or leaked back into the coolant? Just curious. Sorry to hear about your truck. Good luck with everything.

-Kevin

·
Registered
52 Posts
engine powertrain warranty is 5 years or 60,000 miles they may assk for maintenance records but you just bought it they will most likely take car e of your concern get in touch with your local dealer ask for # for cust asst.

·
Registered
5 Posts
... I bought a 99 SLX last year and I noticed some huge oil consumption just prior to the warranty running out. Bought it at 60K and had a 12 mo. or 12K mile "acura certified" warranty on it. They wouldn't believe my documentation, and changed the oil themselves to do a "consumption test". Checking it at every tank, I'm kind of bummed that it doesn't seem to be consuming like before... down some but not like before. I do have a suspicion that they overfilled it on purpose to get my consumption "within acceptable limits"...

A quart per 1000 miles? You've got to be kidding!

My concern is that now the warranty is up, I'm going to get screwed.

So, I've kept all my documentation and will join the class action battle if ever there is one.

SB
Gaithersburg, MD

P.S. Oil consumption or not, this is one sweet SUV! They softened the suspension a little too much for my liking in the SLX, though. I'd like to drive someone's Trooper some time to compare. To be honest, I'd be afraid the replacement motor might be worse. Although this vehicle is a real step up in class for me, I'm quite used to adding oil to my heaps which I usually drive until they drop. I am kind of fascinated by the "isuzu reliability legend" and planned to drive thisone forever. Hope this doesn't change my mind (but boy, ain't that Toureg something!)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Man can I relate! My 99' Rodeo w/3.2 is going through 1 quart every 400-500 miles. It's a PITA and I plan on selling it in the spring. Never have I owned such a problem vehicle with so little miles. I actually like the truck and have worked through a ton of other sh*t with it but the oil consumption just scares the heck out of me. When I bought it in was within warranty by 800 miles but within a month or so I was out of it, naturally that's when I noticed the oil consumption. The stealership will do nothing for me. When I first got it and was'nt in tune to the oil loss it once went was down almost 4 quarts and no warning light went on. I have put 3500 miles on it and decided to bail on it within about 1500 miles of ownership, very sad. :cry:

Tim

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Tim said:
Man can I relate! My 99' Rodeo w/3.2 I have put 3500 miles on it and decided to bail on it within about 1500 miles of ownership, very sad. :cry:

Tim
It seems I read about a fix for the 3.2 issue regarding replacing the oil rings on the pistons. Can't remember if it was here at the Planet or over at the 'Wire.

The problems with the 3.2 are well documented and mostly revolve around the infamous 'valve tick'.

On the 3.5, I have seen posts from time to time regarding the oil usage. I suspect there is a defect but you will be hard-pressed to get Isuzu NA to do anything about it.

I find it hard to believe that I can run my wife's 2.7 V6 Honda Accord regularly between oil changes without adding a drop (currently at 135,000 miles) yet ISUZU can say using a qt every 1k miles is acceptable.

The common theme on the 3.5 issue is that the oil 'just disappears' so many speculate it's seeping into the chamber and getting burned since there are no signs of leakage.

Do a search on '3.5' and 'oil' here and over at the 'Wire, you'll get lots of hits.

http://www.4x4wire.com/isuzu

You might get some information also over at the Edmunds board on this as well, they have a pretty active Trooper forum there that's used by mostly newer trooper users.

Heck, on my Trooper, I KNOW where the oil goes...........on my driveway :D

Cheers,

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have to add 1 quart about every 1000 miles or so. It's annoying. I heard that if we change the oil to a heavier one it should help. I haven't tried it yet. If anyone has let me know if it worked.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
salvatore said:
I have to add 1 quart about every 1000 miles or so. It's annoying. I heard that if we change the oil to a heavier one it should help. I haven't tried it yet. If anyone has let me know if it worked.
Therein lies the paradox. Yes heavier oil might help with that problem, but may cause problems in other ways.

Heavier(thicker) oil might have more trouble getting through the oil passages thereby not lubricating as well. This makes the pump work harder possibly raising oil pressure while the flow is actually less. This puts more pressure on the seals, thereby potentially causing blowby......and on and on and on

If just changing the oil to a heavier mix was the 'simple' fix, then everyone would have already jumped on that band wagon.

Now, for the infamous valve-tick issue, the prevailing hurrah is a werd oil mix from Mobil called 0w-30 that flows much more readily and lubes up the valve train, thereby quieting the tick issue.

I'm glad I have my tired old GM 2.8 as anemic as it is powerwise :roll:

Anyone else...........

Cheers,

·
Registered
117 Posts
My Trooper (Cpt. Wallaby) was a compromise. But the longer I have it the more at home I feel. I'm a Land Rover guy.

How do you know when a Land Rover (Isuzu) is out of oil :?: ….. When it stops leaking. :!:

I know it's not the same as oil just disappearing but I do like the Trooper. :D

·
Registered
763 Posts
THe pre-96 SOHC 3.2v had hydraulic lifters that ticked. It also had oil seepage around the spark plugs. ISuzu fixed problem by designing a better spark plug wire seal. The 96-97 3.2L are great. The 98-'00 3.5l is said to have diappearing oil. The '01+ seem to be Ok.

PErsonal experince shows that 95s had spark plug area seepage and ticking. 01 run perfect. Zero oil consumed between changes.

Both models preferred Mobil 1 5w30.

·
Registered
54 Posts
My 2000 Troop is consuming serious amounts of oil, and the dealer just started a consumption test. I need to verify the oil level to make sure they didn't overfill it. The dealer is also buying me a new transmission as 5th gear is whining.

I'm very thankful the rig is still under warranty, but I'm very disappointed in the rig's reliability. 3 years old and 44K miles, new tranny and maybe a new short block. :roll:

·
Registered
280 Posts
DAMN! Glad to see I'm not the only one!

Yesterday I pulled into a parking space and I thought I saw a red light flash for an instant. This had been happening for a few days, and each time I thought I was just imagining things.

Well, once is okay, twice maybe. THREE times?

I backed out and (like a good engineer) tried to recreate the circumstances. BINGO! Oil light flicked on and off so quick you'd miss it if not looking for it.

I checked the oil level and it was BONE DRY! I bought and it swallowed 4 ENTIRE QUARTS, and STILL the level on the dipstick was only halfway. I could not believe it!

The truck now has only 31K on it, and I bought it at just under 26K. I have no idea if it was topped off when I bought it, byt CarMax is pretty picky about prepping vehicles for sale.

ONE QUART EVERY THOUSAND MILES? THAT'S INSANE! :shock:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hey Zap-

I would check it as often as you can remember until you get use to it's useage. Myself I kept a log and used my tripper to gauge the next quart needed. I experienced the 4 quart dump once and I almost dropped over when it took number 4! 1 quart of oil per 1k miles is common and yes it's insane.

Tim

·
Registered
558 Posts
wow thats alot of oil consumption. The 4bangers dont have this problemn do they? i have a 1.8L that leaks a bit (only 1qt ever 3K miles) but what about 2.6Ls, they dont have oil issues do they?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Tim said:
Hey Zap-

I would check it as often as you can remember until you get use to it's useage. Myself I kept a log and used my tripper to gauge the next quart needed. I experienced the 4 quart dump once and I almost dropped over when it took number 4! 1 quart of oil per 1k miles is common and yes it's insane.

Tim
Yep. That's more or less exactly what I'll be doing. Thanks for confirming the idea.

The next day I poured in quart #5 for good measure. I need to get an oil change now anyway, so I'll begin my log after that change. I've also been thinking of taking it in to the dealer to have the consumption test done.

BTW, we all know what happens when you under-oil and engine (poor agoulet found out the hard way). What happens if you OVER-oil an engine (i.e. - pour too much oil in)?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.