Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I sold my trooper to a friend a couple months ago. Everything seemed fine, until one day he calls me up and says he ran out of oil getting of the highway. I go to meet him, couldn't see a problem, we fill it up with oil and the truck seemed to be running good as ever. Then he calls me an hour later saying it died again, and he's getting it towed home. Now it's at my house, and I cannot locate the problem. Everything is fine under the valve cover, no brown goo or anything that would indicate a head gasket leak. The oil that was in it seemed fine... it was really low so I filled it, then I started it up. There was about three seconds that it sounded fine, then it started making a terrible bottom end noise (at this point i don't know if it's a main/rod bearing or just lack of oil) and I let it run for about ten seconds more and shut it off. I get out, and all the oil is on the ground. No idea where it came from either. The only areas that are covered in oil are: below the a/c compressor, front of oil pan/behind crank pulley, and everything to the right of the intake manifold and radiator. Frame rail, right suspension, etc are all soaked in oil. Everything else is dry. At this point, I don't know where to start looking and I don't want to have this truck for longer than necessary (in other words, I'm not pulling the engine/tearing stuff apart unless I have to). Anyone have an idea that can help me?

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
Clean it, oil it, observe while it's running.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was thinking the front seal.. since that's the only logical leak point that I'm aware of (related to this). But the problem is, it all leaked out in less than a minute, and only while it was running. Unfortunately, I was distracted after I shut it off, so I didn't get a chance to see where the leak was coming from. But if it WAS the front seal, wouldn't all the oil have leaked out in front of the engine? This was off to the side, all the oil in front of the pan was minimal compared to the right side. BTW, the only extremely oily part of the engine itself that I could see was above the oil filter, didn't get a chance to examine it today, but maybe there's something in that area that could have sprung a leak?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Check oil filter gasket >>If it pumps it out that fast.
Probally old gasket stuck from previous oil filter.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
no, changed the filter before I started it, to be safe.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Or an oil pressure sending unit...I've seen those fail and it can really be an arterial bleed. If it emptied in less then a minute, it's certainly something pressurized (not a front seal)
and sounds like your on to it being near the oil filter. Lack of oil per se doesn't make a lower engine noise but the damage done from lack of oil certainly does! Good luck.

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
Sounds like the filter housing and/or that bizarre sending unit.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just checked both, couldn't see anything wrong. If the filter housing was causing the problem, what would I be looking for? The pressure switch on top is secure, as is the other sending unit. I just cleaned the engine bay and driveway, so tomorrow I can start it up again and (hopefully) find where all this oil is coming from.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts