Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 1995.5 rodeo, 115k, 3.2 V6, 4WD.

I've been having LOTS of oil leaking around the lower rear of the engine. "rustproofing" the engine/transmission area. A little burnt oil smell after driving, but no smoke, and I'm losing a couple quarts between oil changes (5000 miles for me). Might this be the rear main seal leaking?

Unless I get a massive oil leak developing. I plan on just running it, and checking the oil level often. The rear main seal is pretty expensive!! You can buy lots of oil for that few hundred bucks.

Help, advice, thanks.

-Roger89

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
I have some good news, and some bad news. In my experience, your leak is most likely coming from the valve covers. That's the good news.

The bad news: changing a valve cover gasket isn't a 30 minute job. You will have to remove the intake. This means that you will need a new intake gasket(s). You will also obviously need new valve cover gaskets. I'd also take this opportunity to upgrade to the newer style spark plug wires (I assume that you don't have coil over plug in the 95.5).

So, the first thing that I'd do (and that I did) was to tighten the bolts that are accessible. You'll need a set off allen wrenches, or the proper male hex socket wrench.

-Tad

·
Registered
45 Posts
I would tend to agree with Tad. My '96 had leaky valve covers on both sides when I bought it. I had them both done and it cost me around $300+ if I remember correctly. Then the drivers side started leaking again. They had to redo that side at their expense. No more leaks though.

If you look under my Rodeo though there is oil all over the rear of the engine and transmission from it blowing back while driving. The shop cleaned up the engine pretty good from the top but underneath isn't quite as clean. At least it doesn't smell anymore. I cleaned up some more of the gunk this past weekend while replacing the O2 sensors.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.