Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found out that my front drive axle actuator was worn out. When I removed the actuator I was expecting oil to come spilling out, but I got nothing. I am thinking that might be why the actuator fork is shot? I removed the plug from the front diff. and it is full of oil, but the axle tube is bone dry. Am I missing something here?

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
The dif uses about 2 qts of gear oil. The actuator uses about a pint of motor oil.

Rather than replacing the actuator, many end up bolting the fork into the engaged position and then installing manual hubs. If $ are tight you can just lock the actuator and run with it engaged full-time. Jerry said that it won't hurt anything, just decrease gas mileage and wear on the boots a bit. You will still be able to use the 4wd button to engage and disengage the transfer case.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess I forgot to mention that this is a 1999 Trooper.
So I am guessing that there shouldn't be any oil in the axle tube? The actuator fork will ride in the locking ring dry? Just seems to me that there should be some oil in there while all that is turning on the shifting fork. Also... where do you put oil in the actuator?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After doing some more research, I found that there is a drain plug in the driver's side frnt axle case. So now that I have found that it does need oil in the tube and how to drain it... how do you fill it and what type of oil does it use? Also I am guessing that the pass side will need it too?

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Like Hack said there is a drain and a fill on just the actuator. It's been too long since I had my '00 to remember exactly. But mine used same gear oil as the axle and it only holds about a cup worth. I remember the drain was one of the allen head bolts and another was the fill I think.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I understand that the actuator takes oil, and where to fill it, but I am talking about the axle tube itself. Where the axles are and the locking collar slides back and forth to lock the axle halve together. All of that is dry and I am thinking that is why my actuator fork is worn out. The fork is blue on the ends where it should contact the locking collar and is wore to almost nothing. It will not engage with the collar at all now. So I have a new actuator on order but don't want the same thing to happen again. I just bought this Trooper about four months ago and I am still trying to get things working.

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
The axle tube gets oil from the diff. Just fill the diff with gear lube.at the fill hole on the front side of the diff until the fluid runs out the hole.

If you don't have an owners manual you should get one...most of this info is in there.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the reply, but like I said in my first post... the diff is full of oil, just nothing in the tube.

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
There is no separate reservoir for the tube, it is open to the diff.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Maybe there is something clogged up in the housing because the diff case is full but nothing in the tube... I hate to keep on about this, but I don't understand how this can happen. Maybe I need to just put some diff oil in it. I am scratching my head over this.

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
I bought a salvage 10-bolt recently, to keep the gear lube from drooling out they had basically stuffed a ball of tape into each end of the tube. If that was not removed it could be a problem. But if your front diff is original this would not be the case.

Reactions: lomcevac

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
The 10-bolt doesn't really have a "cover". It is a third-member design, where the gears are carried by the pinion case. So, to look inside you basically have to drop the entire axle and pull the axle shafts to remove the third member and inspect the inside of the tube and pumpkin. This is a lot of work and a PITA, frankly.

Maybe first you should just find a curb or rock or something you can drive your passenger side wheel up on, then check and see if any fluid has spilled into the tube.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts