Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am changing the oil (and many other things) in my '97 3.2L Rodeo. I know a few people who have started using Lucas Oil additive in their cars and they swear by it. Say it has cured burnoff, smoothed performance, and overall just been very beneficial. I have not used additives/synthetics before and I am somewhat hesitant to mess with something that has not been problematic yet. Anyways, does anyone have any experience with Lucas Oil or similar products and any recommendations, ect.

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
If you have no reason to add anything to the oil don't do it.

The only thing I've ever used is Seafoam. This is basically a cleaner. I don't run it in the oil for the whole oil change. I will run it for about a 50 mile trip or so then change the oil.

If it aint broke then don't try and fix it.

I do however use synthetic oil in my 98 Passport. My 88 Trooper gets Dino oil. It's already got 207,000 miles on it.

Joe

·
Registered
280 Posts
There's a huge thread around here with all kinds of good data, including a study showing that Lucas, et al, aren't all they're cracked up to be.

Wish I could find the link myself. Heck, I think it's my own thread! :?

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
i usually put restore in my oil. it basically just smoothed out the rough feeling it had. i ran it for about 3 oil changes, i didnt pu it in this one, but i did swich to high mileage. i also run 6 quarts of oil.

edit-just letting you know, restore doesnt mix with the oil, it sticks to the metal so its not like the lucas in that link.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Restore is not a oil additive for newer motors. It is designed for
high milage motors that might have small scratches in the
cylinder walls. It uses soft metals like copper to fill the voids.

I used it in a Toyota Supra with minimal results. Still burned oil and no
power increase.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
133k isnt new, so it helped me. reduced oil burn to about 1 quart every 3000 miles. i didnt have more power, i just got back some of the pep that vehicles tend to loose after 11 years. it wasnt like new, more like 5 years old.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I've tried STP on and off. Seems to help quite down the infamous ticking a little bit. about 15k ago I started using restore, it was the only thing that silenced the ticking completally, for about 10,000 miles, now the ticking is back and i'm at a loss for what to try. Was thinking maybe rislone.

·
Registered
145 Posts
whoa, checked out the Bob's site, and was impressed on how he created the controlled environment, for his study.

Was thinking of using the stuff, till I saw that. DEFINATELY not interested now. Makes me think their company dosent have a quality control department.

·
Registered
825 Posts
if you really want to get a lot of better info about oil, and oil addatives.. the forums over at Bobistheoilguy.com are extensive... use the search feature and you can find opinions and experiences with just about every product you can find...

a few of my own comments on the addatives listed in this page..

Lucas- overpriced, mostly snake oil, hyped up to be more than it is- the effects it has, may be benificial in some very old engines that need an oddball variation in the way the lubrication works to keep it running... stay away from it for the most part.

Restore- I've actually used it.. but stay away from it now.. it got rid of my teicking for a few oil changes, then it came back.. after doing more research on restore- I don't think this is a very good solution for any engine, it is prone to leave more deposits and make a mess for later oils to clean up.

STP- oldschool addative, primarily ZDDP. ZDDP thickens the oil. Most oils you buy, already have some amount of this addative in them to bring the weight into the desired range. Adding 1 bottle of STP, is roughly equivalent to stepping up your oil 1 grade in weight. (1 bottle added to a 5w30, will make it something closer to a 5w40, or 10w40)... I've experimented with this stuff.. I tried a short run in the summer with 20W50, and 2 bottles STP, resulting in some very heavy oil, to see if it would help with the lifter ticking, didn't. STP has it's place for some engines that run better on heavier oil.... often, the best use for STP, would be half way through an oil change interval to boost an oil back up to it's normal viscosity (many oils shear down over their usage interval).

Most addatives, are relativally safe to use, and, as long as you change your oil frequently, shouldn't cause any more problems than they may solve... but remember, oils are formulated from the bottle, to work well, addatives, will change the balance of the add-pack a bit, and in some cases, may shorten the life of the oil, leading to premature coking and sludging. Any addative that doesn't contain a balanced add-pack of it's own- is going to force the addatives in the oil you are using to work harder (wear out sooner) to makup for the lack of detergency in the addative...

If you spend some time over on BITOG- you'll find, that there are some addatives, that come highly respected.

Auto-RX- is about the most frequently talked about addative on the site. It is an Ester based cleaner that you mix with the oil. At ~$24 per bottle, it seems pricey- but the results people are getting are phenomonel. Removing years of varnish and sludge from ring packs, lifters, and oil passages, has turned many old smoking beater cars into excellent running cars. a clean engine, is proving to be a healthy engine.. Auto-RX also does a great job of cleaning and reconditioning worn out seals... I should note... that according to Isuzu- the cause of the the infamous ticking, in many of these engines, is contamination reducing oil flow to the valve adjusters. The Service bulliten recomends a switch to 5w20 or 0w30 synthetic oil to help clean out the engine.. Auto-RX would be a much better candidate for this cleaning than just light weight synthetic oil. Auto-RX, removes stuff that flushes never even begin to touch. It is safe to leave in the oil, and does not reduce the oils ability to lubricate in any way. Being an ester- it is, an oil itself. Highly recomended- but follow the usage instructions exactly for best results.

VSOT: (valvoline synthetic oil treatment)... comes in a little silver bottle, and you can find it at pep-boys... For the most part, this is a moly booster, moly is a friction modifier that is gaining a lot of respect as a cheap alternative to other methods of reducing metal-to-metal friction. Moly is held in suspension, as oil is pressed between metal parts, moly forms a small cushoning layer that is more flat and even than the surface of the metal itself. Many motor oils already contain moly (redline, and havoline, to mention a couple).... some contain little or none and use other ingrediants to aid in this friction modification... VSOT has been used in mamy engine, and returned very decent UOAs with low wear numbers.. Many folks using this- are using it in oils that do not come with it out of the bottle, to take advantage of both the friction modifier the oil comes with, and moly, at the same time.

Lube Control: Essencially- Lube control is, like adding more detergency to the oil.. I don't know as much about this product... but it has been shown to extend oil life, allowing for more extended drains, and even offers a level of cleaning above and beyond that of most oils out of the bottle. Doses are very small, and using this product on an ongoing basis, isn't very expensive and has shown good results. Lube Control also makes a fuel addative that has proven itself in many vehicles.

Ok ok.. nough rambling... there are TONS more to list and talk about..... if you are really interested in addatives, and oils.. head on over to BITOG.com. seee ya there. (and here of cource).

·
Registered
455 Posts
I run No addatives in my Full size chevys, havent for years, just synthetic oils and mostly Mobil 1 .
The only additive I use is Seafoam once a year and i add it thru the brake booster while the truck is running.
Cleans out all the deposits in the valves and pistons and makes my throttle response and idle improve everytime.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.