Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I recently bought my first Isuzu Trooper SUV (1994; 3.2L SOHC; 4WD; AUTO; 178000 miles on it). It runs perfect but gas mileage is low, 15mpg on highway and much lower in city. I thought of changing the spark plugs and so I removed the boots on the right (driver's) side of the engine. LO and BEHOLD there is so much of engine oil on top of the spark plug! Where is it coming from? Oil is there on top of all 3 spark plugs on this side. I did not remove the spark plugs and wanted to check why is it happening. On the left side (passenger's side) of the engine there is no oil on top of any of the 3 spark plugs. Please help me explaining why it is happening, how I fix this and should I change my spark plugs at all or not? Thanks a lot.

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
You can change your spark plugs. The long term fix is to replace the two valve cover gaskets and the 6 spark plug tube seals. You may get away with just doing one side. Heck, you might get away with just tightening the valve cover bolts (a little!). The updated plug wires that Isuzu sells are tighter at the bottom and are supposed to help seal the oil inside the valve covers.

Good luck,
Tad

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.