Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Teardrop,

1) What will be the towing vehicle that will drag this loaded device and for what distance? (Perhaps a CAT D8T?)

2) Consider more frequent trips with lighter loads.

3) For minimum friction, you could fabricate a carrier on top of two steel I-beam runners, sheathed with Teflon or Delron on the earth side of the beams.

4) Use rollers under the carrier, such as cylindrical fence posts. Egyptian pyramids were built using this method to move huge stones in their construction process.

The above may help or stimulate other ideas!

GB

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Teardrop said:
This would be pulled with a full sized pick up truck. to be moved less than a mile. Moving over ground-meaning grass,shrubs,rocks,dirt,mud,tree stumps. Would be moving the very things i would be driving over. Clearing some land. Please do not read more into this than what i am asking for. Nothing i am moving is going to require a earthmoving piece of equipment. I am just looking for durability, longevity, weight. I am afraid the a heavy plastic plate might break, and a plate of steel may be to heavy. Something like a car trailer with out wheels. Just hook up and drg along the ground.
Teardrop,

If you're clearing land, even a full size PU may be hard stressed to pull the weight mentioned without reducing friction. If wheels are not feasible, consider a skid fabricated from wood. Wood has a good chance of being strong, yet fairly light weight, carefully fabricated. The skid could incorporate runners to minimize contact with ground, thus friction, requiring less effort to pull, maximizing payload. Something like a sled!

Just trying to keep it simple but effective!

GB

1 - 2 of 2 Posts