Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guy's
I am hopeing that i might attract some people that would know something about steel plate versus a heavy plastic plate. Ok here goes.
I am looking to move some heavy weight across land, It has large rocks sand mud a few trees. I am looking at something i can just drag across the gound ( no wheels). This is something that i can just hook a chain up to it and pull behind a vehicle.
So i guess i am looking for weight, durability, longevity of either the steel plate or heavy plastic plate. Must be able to hold a minimum of 2 tons. I am afraid that the heavy plastic plate might break to easy, The steel plate would be to heavy, depending upon the thickness and overall size of both.
What are your ideas on this?

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
I'd bet the steel plate would also be less expensive. Couple of questions might be traveling what distance with the load and secondly what type of terrain you'd be traveling across.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Teardrop,

1) What will be the towing vehicle that will drag this loaded device and for what distance? (Perhaps a CAT D8T?)

2) Consider more frequent trips with lighter loads.

3) For minimum friction, you could fabricate a carrier on top of two steel I-beam runners, sheathed with Teflon or Delron on the earth side of the beams.

4) Use rollers under the carrier, such as cylindrical fence posts. Egyptian pyramids were built using this method to move huge stones in their construction process.

The above may help or stimulate other ideas!

GB

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
What exactly are you looking to move? You might get more input if people knew what you're dealing with.

Steel plate is not very flexible, at least not enough for this application or so it sounds like. It would also be very heavy in itself.

Plastic will probably be more flexible to the terrain but it also would tend to be more slippery, meaning it might not handle any small slopes very well.

The roller idea above sounds good but it would be slower which might not be a bad thing considering the 2 ton minimum. But it certainly sounds as if some sort of wheeled contraption is more what you're looking for. For the cost of the steel plate and probably the plastic, you could probably find some used axles on craigslist and build a trailer to suit the application. Or perhaps even a used trailer.

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
Are you mounting skids beneath it?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This would be pulled with a full sized pick up truck. to be moved less than a mile. Moving over ground-meaning grass,shrubs,rocks,dirt,mud,tree stumps. Would be moving the very things i would be driving over. Clearing some land. Please do not read more into this than what i am asking for. Nothing i am moving is going to require a earthmoving piece of equipment. I am just looking for durability, longevity, weight. I am afraid the a heavy plastic plate might break, and a plate of steel may be to heavy. Something like a car trailer with out wheels. Just hook up and drg along the ground.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Teardrop said:
This would be pulled with a full sized pick up truck. to be moved less than a mile. Moving over ground-meaning grass,shrubs,rocks,dirt,mud,tree stumps. Would be moving the very things i would be driving over. Clearing some land. Please do not read more into this than what i am asking for. Nothing i am moving is going to require a earthmoving piece of equipment. I am just looking for durability, longevity, weight. I am afraid the a heavy plastic plate might break, and a plate of steel may be to heavy. Something like a car trailer with out wheels. Just hook up and drg along the ground.
Teardrop,

If you're clearing land, even a full size PU may be hard stressed to pull the weight mentioned without reducing friction. If wheels are not feasible, consider a skid fabricated from wood. Wood has a good chance of being strong, yet fairly light weight, carefully fabricated. The skid could incorporate runners to minimize contact with ground, thus friction, requiring less effort to pull, maximizing payload. Something like a sled!

Just trying to keep it simple but effective!

GB

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
If it's just clearing land, why not just use the pickup and make multiple trips? It would probably be easier on the truck that way.
We've used burn piles up here but don't know your situation there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts