Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I've been collecting oem Isuzu's radio's (call me crazy), and I just picked up my second one today. Does anyone know anything about these things or working on a stereo in general? The first radio I got the cassette deck does not work, but the lights and radio still work. The second one I picked up today is a little better. It works, but it's really iffy. The cassette deck plays for a few seconds like it should, but then it clicks and goes nearly silent. Then it clicks again after a few seconds and the music is back to normal volume! It does this back and forth, and I don't understand it. It's like the play mechanism is stuck. I disassembled it and gave it a good thorough cleaning, but it's still acting funny.

Radios

Here's it with the shell off.

Cassette deck (Problem area)

Internal view

Any ideas on what I can do? I took them to a local electronics store and had them look at it, their facial expressions were priceless, completely dumbfounded.

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
Last time I dealt with the cassette player in an old radio like that, I disassembled it a lot further than you have.

I cleaned all the rubber parts with alcohol, after roughing them up a bit with 200 grit paper.

I found every point everywhere, where one part rubs against another, or rides inside another, etc... I cleaned all those places, and then lubed them with silicone grease. (Plumber's silicone grease from the big box. Not the expensive stuff from the auto parts place.)

I cleaned the 'head', with an ink pen eraser.

I got it to work.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess I'll have to do a better job cleaning it. I didn't completely disassemble it down into pieces. Just took the shell of and gave everything a good rubbing with alcohol soaked q-tips.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts