Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 90 Troop 5spd with the 2.8 & 157K on the clock.

The issue being after driving for about 10 min or more, park it for 5-30 min and then try to start the truck up, it fires up, idles for 5 sec and then dies. The only way to get it to start is to hold the gas pedal to the floor. If I just turn the key and crank it, it won't start at all :?

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Almost sounds like a problem I had with my 87 honda accord.
Except it would die if I did not put my foot on the pedal.

It was a temperature sending unit that was defective. It was telling
the computer that the engine was cold and choking the motor.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Make sure that your vacuum ports on the throttle body aren't plugged....a common problem with high mileage GM V6's. Just clean them out with some good quality intake system cleaner.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Hi,

I had a 90 amigo 2.6l that did the same thing for a year and a half. I found out that it had a bad alternator. Try disconnecting the alternator and starting it, if it starts up and runs fine have the alternator checked. Mine had a bad diode in it and by holding the gas down while cranking the engine was able to sputter enough to create enough voltage to jump the short in the alternator and keep the engine running. Good luck.

Scott

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have the same problem with my 99 rodeo. I have to give it gas when starting, if I take my foot off the pedal the engine dies. I can hear the fuel pump priming when I turn the key on, does this mean my fuel pump is ok? I used a diagnostics scanner and it said there were no problems. I also changed the fuel filter but that didn't help.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
My 88 trooper was doing that just a couple of weeks ago. It turned out to be the alternator. But I also found out my main engine relay was bad. All i did was replace the relay and cleaned a sticking brush in the alternator. Deffinatly check your alternator.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I believe I am having a similar issue as well.

To those that have had it, would sometimes it seem as though it wasnt starting at ALL.. or rather you had to hold the key in the "start" position for longer than a second?

Curious if mine is the coils, the alternator or the actual ignition switch. I get power everywhere and the grounds (that I have found) are good. yet sometimes it take me ~5 minutes to start the truck playing the "on/off" game. The radio clicks off when in the start position however the starter doesnt always engage. Sound more Coil or alternator? (or switch)

Starter and solenoid are new, new battery, clean and grounded wires.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts