Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to figure out what I can do to help fix the idle on my amigo. Everytime I take it out of gear with the rpms about about 1500 or more (I am guessing, no tach) the truck will idle with up and down repeatedly until I am going like 10mph or less,then it will settle down to normal again. It also does this occasionally when I first start it, but then it will settle down.
I have a 91 with a 2.6 and a 5 speed. I checked things like the pcv system with no luck.

·
Registered
191 Posts
my trooper does the same thing, i have a rpm gauge and it shows about 2000 rpms when i first crank it up and let it run for a little bit, then later down the road it goes down after running it for a while or driving it. I dont understand.

·
Registered
368 Posts
My Amigo does the same thing with the idle after it comes out of gear. I have farted with things, but I can't seen to get it to go away. It will do it if you have low coolant in the system, it will do it if its running hot, neither of which is my reason. I just don't know. I end up just tapping the gas right after I take it out of gear. It should run a little higher right when you start it, its supposed to do that when the engine is cold, then it warms up and goes away.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I know I have enough coolant. My temp gauge goes about 3/4 of the way in normal when I first warm it up, but it always goes back down to 1/2 of the normal part after that. I thought that was just the fan or a thermostat thing, because it always returns to normal. A buddy with a samarai has the same issues, but no luck fixing it. I might breakdown and call/visit a dealership to find out some answers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Similar prob on a '99 V6 3.5 trooper with 70000 miles. I gave it an Italian Tune Up* and now it's mostly better - but not quite. I'll try another Italian sometime soon. I've decided not to worry. It doesn't seem to be the inlet manifold problem these are prone to.

You could try pulling the fuse on the ECU for 15 minutes (if it has one), then replacing it. Might help, and costs nothing.

* drive 10 miles in 3rd or 4th gear at 5000 rpm (these things are red lined at 6000+ rpm).

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
The 2.6 is really touchy with low coolant.

Also the EGR valve being clogged can cause some odd idle problems, the valve itself and the passage way should be cleaned.

Last and not least check all of the vaccum hoses.

Joe

·
Registered
368 Posts
I'm sure its vaccum related for me somewhere, I've yet to track it down though. Everything seems to be in order, with recently new hoses and they're all in the right spots.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.