Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would there be any advantage to turbocharging or supercharging a isuzu rodeo when in the trails. I personally imagine not but i was told it would? Whats your opinion?

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
boost is good food!!!!!!

you can make a turbo spool fast to get better results on the trail but thats why they make superchargers... just my opinion....anything can be tweaked to do what you want it to....there are many many ways to do it...and with the right amount of money and beer its all possible...!!!!

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
if i were to redo my set up id go with a centrifugal S/C with an inner and after cooler on it....it would be cheap and easy to manipulate your air temps to get better HP than a Roots style SC like what I have on mine with no After cooler....dont have the money or skills to mees with trying to make one and test it out til its made right.

let me know what you decide to do...like to see what people come up with

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I love turbo, but for a trail rig, I'd go with a super charger. The last thing I'd do is get a centrifugal supercharger, unless you want the lag of a turbo and the limited, crappy boost levels of a supercharger. Worst of both worlds.

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
A turbo would do fine on the trails assuming your setup is aimed for off roading. So this means don't get the biggest turbo you can find. You will probably want a small turbo so that it starts to spool at a low engine rpm and at around 2.5k-4k rpm you have plenty of boost since this will be somehwat your target range when off roading in low range. If you get a turbo that is only starting to pick up at that range, it will pretty much be useless. Now you're not going to find the perfect turbo and thats where the waste gate comes into play and you can essentially achieve whatever power curve you desire. only thing is all of this is going to cost a lot. If you really want to spice things up attach a leaf blower. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Enemigo said:
I love turbo, but for a trail rig, I'd go with a super charger. The last thing I'd do is get a centrifugal supercharger, unless you want the lag of a turbo and the limited, crappy boost levels of a supercharger. Worst of both worlds.
have you run one of these on your vehicle or is this speculation? Not being a [email protected], just want to learn from peoples experience with these mods

My friend has made a nice system on his corvette that proved to be very effecient at 14lbs with inner and aftercooler. from what he did with his car i cant say id agree with your statement. And about the lag part, its still belt driven like my roots style. maybe you can shed some light on this for me since im not aware of the negatives you have stated above. I dont have much hands on time with those styles of S/C's so i can only go by what what was created on the Vette.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I only had a turbocharged car, and a roots style supercharged truck, and it has been a while.

With a turbocharger, the air is compressed when the turbo spools, but since it freewheels, it is free to spool at whatever rate it can, independent of the engine. With a centrifugal supercharger, the compression is still dependent on the speed of the compressor wheel inside the supercharger, but the speed of the compressor wheel is dependent on the speed of the motor because it is belt driven. So you are limited in the amount of boost you can build.

It is certainly easier to slap an intercooler onto a centrifugal set-up, but not impossible to do for a roots blower. Also a centrifugal set-up doesn't have to sit right on top of the motor and usually allows for better mounting options.

Keep in mind that your friend's Corvette has a lot of low end to begin with, so the lag is not going to be as noticeable.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
If there were still full supercharger kits available for our trucks then i'd say go the supercharger route, but sadly there is only 1 kit you can buy now, and you will still need to purchase the actual supercharger for it, and in the end will be spending around $4000 to get the kit, supercharger, and other small things to complete it. Not worth it imo.

I was considering making my own centrifugal supercharger setup, but I realized it's going to be way to much work (tons of precise measuring, machine work, messing with belts, ect..). Since i'm really familiar with turbochargers, that's the route i'm going when I find a new daily driver. I have a few ideas brewing in my head on how to do it, and i'm probably going to make it so the turbocharger is in the engine bay. I know there is a turbo Rodeo but his turbo is mounted under the truck where the muffler is, and I just don't want to put it down there. I'm most likely going to be putting something like a DSM 16g turbo, they spool pretty fast and should pull nicely up to redline. Most likely only going to run ~5psi with it.

P.S. I use to have an Eclipse RS with a big 16g turbo on it at 5psi, it made that little car pretty darn fast. It was fully spooled up around 2500 RPMs.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Thanks for the insight on your previous rigs...and yah I do know that car ran much differnt stock than our trucks do,,(ooo how i miss a V8)

well im interested in whatever anyone does esp boosted applications., there are a few people that have the SC kits and one guys has a Super?turbo set up. Im surprised more people havent wrote about or have done more mods with these boosted applications.

Im still trying to make this motor scream with what I have, dont get me wrong it runs damn good but it can run Mo-Bedduh! i get 7lbs immediately smashing the pedal and hits 10lbs around 3500 rpms.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Clipper, those turbo kits that are mounted under the truck are stupid and inefficient. Definitely don't go that route.

I'd think that a 16g would be way too small for your truck. It would certainly spool fast, but would certainly NOT pull all the way till redline. I imagine it would fall on its face pretty quickly.

The issue with turbocharging an off road truck is that to have street drivabilty where you use a normal portion of your RPM range, and off-roading where you are usually at very low speeds and mostly low revs, would take two completely different set-ups. A 16g might be great for low to midrange power for wheeling, but would be a total drag to drive on the way to the trail.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Yeah I thought about it for a while, but I don't want water splashing on it, being open to debris on the road, adding small pumps to get the oil to and from the turbo, ect.. so I threw that idea out of the window. That's why I want it somewhere in the engine bay.

Honestly I don't do much off-roading, and when I do it's just some small trails that are not difficult to do at all. My Rodeo is 2wd too so i'm not planning on doing anything serious off-road. For now it's just my daily, and if I do boost it, it will be a weekend toy and will be driven on the street 99.9% of the time.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
The main issue with those exhaust mounted turbo set-ups is the huge loss in inefficiency. Turbo charger is run off of heat. to put it at the very end of the exhaust, at the coldest point, is dumb. More lag, more exposure, more lines, more piping, etc, etc, etc.

If you are just 2wd and 99.9% on street, then I'd suggest starting at something like a T4 and going up from there.

I had a T3/T4 with a .48 intake and .60 compressor wheel on a 1990 Acura Integra. That was a 1.8 liter motor with I think 120 hp from factory measured at the crank. After turboing it I was runnign 277 WHEEL horsepower in Colorado, one mile above sea level. I didn't modify any of the suspension, or even have decent tires, and couldn't drive it very well. I was still running 13.8 at 106 mph a mile above sea level. That turbo was significantly larger than a tiny 16g, and my motor was almost half the size of a Rodeo motor. Go bigger!

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Very true.

Yeah i've had and helped do aftermarket turbo setups on many 4 cylinder cars. I'm actually helping my brother build his 91 Mr2 turbo right now, and he just got his Dual BB Garrett GT3076R and that thing is sweet. I may steal it and put it on my Rodeo :lol: .

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Very interesting, i spent around 3 hours researching turbo chargers for off-roading. It seems it is kinda hard to find a happy medium between a good trail use turbo and also good on the street. Im thinking that i could handle just a little bit of lag on the trails for a decent turbo on the street for the simple reason i dont get to do to much off roading. But when i do i like to go balls to the wall. But i drive more on the road due to work so id rather have it work good on the road and then deal with a little lag on the trails.

Like mentioned the smaller turbos spool faster reducing lag and super chargers dont have any lag because they connect by a belt witch in in-line with the crank. I managed to find a few super chargers for our vehicles but none in a kit :/. Personally before i go spend 4,000 on a super charger kit ill go out and buy a dodge cummins and just play with it because thats what i truly want but cant afford a good low mileage one.

Im sure ill be able to find a solution somewhere on this internet, just takes some time and research.

·
Registered
390 Posts
If the internals of the engine were left stock, then it would have already good response off road, with perhaps a little boost at higher rpm,, if the turbo system were tuned for street driving. On the street, it would be a beast! A mid level tune might get 300WHP and that would make a rodeo absolutely fast (for an suv). I would think that a big 16g would be fine for around 280-320 hp,, and on a 3.2 v6 would spool up very quickly. How about a pair of t25 for a TT set up?

Im very interested in getting more power from my 2000 rodeo v6. Not many options though for bolt on. My friend just bought a TRD 4 runner with factory supercharger,, its very quick! I want my rodeo to be like that!

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
The best thing for street driving fun is a blower. Either a modern roots blower or a twin screw. Throw all that old "knowledge" out the window. All the modern up to the minute designs are efficient and make big, usable power. The beauty about a positive displacement blower is that is jams a measured amount of air in on every rotation so you have boost right when you crack the throttle open. And because it is belt driven and it is positioned after the throttle blade there is no blow off or over boost problems to worry about.

In the end nothing makes more power than a turbo but systems for ultimate power on the drag strip are almost non drivable. Everything from the oil pan up is designed for a big boost turbo app. Don't get caught up in the hype of making 500 wheel horsepower with a twin turbo setup on the street. Just concentrate on something that is practical, will work well on and off road and will most importantly fall within your budget! I have seen dozens upon dozens of stalled projects because someone thought they could build a full blown race car when all they could really afford was a 100shot nitrous kit.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
ofg said:
If the internals of the engine were left stock, then it would have already good response off road, with perhaps a little boost at higher rpm,, if the turbo system were tuned for street driving. On the street, it would be a beast! A mid level tune might get 300WHP and that would make a rodeo absolutely fast (for an suv). I would think that a big 16g would be fine for around 280-320 hp,, and on a 3.2 v6 would spool up very quickly. How about a pair of t25 for a TT set up?

Im very interested in getting more power from my 2000 rodeo v6. Not many options though for bolt on. My friend just bought a TRD 4 runner with factory supercharger,, its very quick! I want my rodeo to be like that!
After more research I think the 16g will be to small, it will definetly spool very fast but like said above, it will run out of breath at higher RPMs. I would think twin t25's would be a little small too, but it could work.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I would STRONGLY recommend going to turbobygarrett.com and read ALL of the "Turbo Tech" info they have on there. Finding the right turbo for your application isn't magic, and unless you have a bunch of $$$ to try different options, you may want to educate yourself (not implying you aren't BTW) of the ins and outs of turbos or you may end up with a setup thats doesn't work the way you want it to. There are formulas to figure the proper turbo based on engine displacement, RPM's, Pressure Ratio, and how efficient your heads are. Its kind of hard to say that twin t25's would be too small when that turbo comes stock on a 2 liter engine putting out 200+ hp and tq. You have to keep in mind that you will be running half the air into the turbo's if you are running 2. So if you are running twins, you need to figure it on a 1.6 liter engine (your truck has the 3.2 right?) Do the math and find what will work best for you and you will love your turbo. One of the funnest cars I've owned was Volvo S40. It wasn't the fastest thing on the road, but with a few little tweaks it was pretty quick. It had a 1.9 liter turbo 4 cyl. with a tiny 12g turbo. The great thing is that it would complete spool below 1500 rpms so it had more torque than the tires could handle... Yes it started running out of steam at 4500 rpms, but if I was looking for an engine for off road use, it would have been prefect.
I actually think if you were wanting to run twin turbos you may want to consider running twin t20's. They would spool quick and together would be good to the 325-375hp range. You may also look to using stock turbos off a 300zTT. They are small and spool quick (start spooling almost right off idle) and with the stock boost levels would put you around the 300hp mark. Not sure of your HP plans and how much bottom end work you are wanting to get in to, but hopefully this will help you figure out what you want to do. I look forward to seeing your progress and if you have any other questions let me know. I'm no expert, but I've had my hands dirty of several different turbo vehicles, some OEM turbo's and others home built.

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
if you off road in low-range like you should your RPMs should be in the 2-3k range like the way it is on the street. Why not build a setup for this range. You're honestly not going to go much higher than that unless you're racing or decide to be a noob and floor it through the obstacle. I suppose in some instances flooring it is the way to go, but not that common. Anyone agree?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts