Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys I've had a 1991 Isuzu Rodeo for the past 9 months that I have fallen in love with. My mom gave it to me in less than ample condition (been sitting around rusting for about 2 years, also has 270000 miles on the clock). I've run into a crock load of problems and now I want to get down and dirty with the thing and fix as much of it myself.

I've owned little tiny ford festiva city runner and a mitsubishi triton. this was when I lived in Australia 9 months ago, which has some of the best roads to drive in the world.

Now I live in Costa Rica, where the roads are only barely considered roads most of the places. Holes and rocks rule the road and cost people and there cars lots of time and money. One time my friend was driving at night and couldn't avoid a gigantic hole because there was a big truck on the other side of the road. He broke his axle and it cost him 1000$, we call that the thousand dollar hole rofl.

Anyway that's enough about me, very good source of information you guys have going on here. It's great to see so many enthusiasts in one place! I really have fallen in love with my Isuzu and i know what Im getting after it dies!!! the question is trooper or rodeo hmmmmm.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Welcome to the planet! You certainly will get to know your zoo very well :)

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Welcome.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well, plan is to get it working again. I will take some pics of the thing maybe tommorow, but im not kidding when i say this thing is not in the best shape, its been to hell and back several times, with the miles it has, and it has not been treated lightly.

Problems include blinking check transmission light of death, shock plate on the chasis came off, no horn, only rear right indicator working, 1 brake light, lots of rust, and now rescently a fuel delivery problem

chasis is still strong, and engine still in good nick :p.

I plan to get a rodeo when this 1 truly bites the dust, so thats why i wanna take my time and lesrn as much as i can about this machine as i fix all the problems. Only i want the 4 cyl manual diesel version, do these roads more justice, and save moneys on fuel.

·
Registered
546 Posts
The important stuff still works. That's what counts.

What I would do in this situation is literally strip the truck down lol. Take it all apart, fix bad stuff that I find, and put it back together. This would give you the best opportunity to go over that wiring for any problems it may have.

Word of advice, check the brake and fuel lines. Bad things happen to cars that sit. (Trust me, I know lol)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thank you impulse, thats pretty much what im doing, right now the fuel tank and back wheels are off. brakes are being replaced, the old 1s are farked. both brake pumps and all 4 brake shoes. fuel lines seem ok, we blew them out with a compresor and i could see no dirt leaving. also no fuel leaks.

the alternator is a goner Ive just learned, and i think thats whats causing allot of problems including the fuel pump not engaging and the check transmission light which are the biggest problems. we'll see once i get it, i have to do a 2 hour drive to Pasa Canoas, the most crazy place you've ever seen to get one. im geting a used one for 70$ instead of a new 1 for 200+

·
Registered
546 Posts
Did you drop the fuel tank and take a look inside? Generally when fuel sits in a tank for long periods of time it will end up pretty nasty in there. Wouldn't do any harm to clean it up. I guess if you still have your fuel pump issues that would be where you end up anyway.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Its pretty clean in there actually, i think the first guy that fixed it cleaned it up, i believe the problem with the fuel pump is the alternator, because its fried and apparently, if it isnt giving out the right charge it wont trip the fuel pump relay. I also know the fuel pump is working because we hooked it up direct link to the battery and worked.

there's not that much rust in there, the outside has a little im gona crub it off. also gona spray the chassis with dyeoxl to get rid of the rust and then paint it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.