Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, I have a 92 Isuzu MU and after changing manual tranny oil it no longer goes into 5th or reverse. I have a feeling I removed a bolt I shouldn't have.... Any ideas guys? It would be much appreciated....!

·
Registered
7 Posts
When i saw your post i thought i had found the answer to my problem, but noone had replied darnit.

I have the same fault with my 92 trooper at the moment too. I have recently replaced the oil, and it was working fine for a few days, then the clutch pedal was acting weird, so after removing the gear box and replacing the spigot bearing, the bush in the clutch pedal where the master cylinder attaches, the broken spring holding the thrust bearing on and regreasing the fork pivot point I now dont have 5th or reverse as well. The cluth seems to work fine now but the shift level doesnt want to find either gear. The only part of the gearbox i took apart was the top surround that the shift lever bolts onto.

If anyone has any ideas, or if the original poster managed to fix their problem, please help me out.

If i find the solution I'll post back.

Porl.

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
Take your shift lever out and there is a metal plate that is spring acuated that needs to be in the up position when you reinstall your shift lever. If this plate is down you will not be able to shift into 5th or reverse.

If I'm not mistaken it's the lockout to prevent you from going from fifth gear to reverse on accident.

On an american car where 5th gear is all the way to the right and up and reverse is all the way to the right and back, the plate is on the left or drivers side as you sit in the drivers seat.

You should be able to put this plate in the correct position and then re-install the shift lever.

Joe

·
Registered
7 Posts
I went down and had a play around, but cannot find any metal plates. The Australian version of the car might be slightly different to the american.

I did notice what the problem was though, now to try and find a fix. There is a metal bar running through that area which has a spring wrapped around it. This sprind is used to return the shift level to the upright position and presses againt the stick, not the mechanism on the inside. The bar that this spring is wrapped around has a notch cut out of it for the mechanism to sit in, and the notch seem to be to far to the right, and therefore hits the mechanism on the left stopping it from rotating around to the 5th / reverse area.

Now i just have to try and figure out how to move this bar.

Paul.

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
Nope sounds like it's the same setup. If you have to take the shift block off so you can see better. All of your shift rails should be in neutral.

When you remove the shift block you should be able to see what I am telling you is keeping you out of fifth and reverse.

Joe

·
Registered
763 Posts
Mine did something similar. You'll need to remove shifter mechanism. Once you get it removed, you should see where the ball from shifter attaches to the 3 rails (R/5, 4/3, 2/1). Try moving all three of the "half moon" shaped rails toward center of shift block. There is a chance that one gear is hung up and preventing the first rail from shifting. If this doen't work you can remove plate and check positions of spring and ball for the rail that controls 5 & reverse. I believe its the first rail, but I'm not sure. Here's a pic of the 1/2 moon shift rail ends that I'm referring to.

BTW, you can barely see the plat that covers spring and balls that engage detent. The plate is in the rectangular shaped plate in the top most part of pic.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.