Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Original owner, 1983 P'up LS (diesel)
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to get a tire repaired today, and of course the shop had a sign saying they offer nitrogen for filling tires. So, as the guy was taking the repair order back to the shop, I stopped him and said--
"Oh, can I get a MIX of...um, nitrogen and oxygen...?"

He was starting to tell me they can't do that, and I stopped him to tell him I was joking. He didn't even get it--I had to 'splain it to him. Maybe because I left out "CO2 and trace amounts of other gasses"? :roll:

Jack

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
We have added compressed air to Nitrogen filled before... not a big deal. air is ~78% nitrogen anywho.

They just flat out don't get it.

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
I dont get the whole nitrogen thing period. Seems like a gimick to me.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
stusvend said:
I dont get the whole nitrogen thing period. Seems like a gimick to me.
It has it's place, basically race cars and aircraft. But since I don't race my Rodeo, or drive it up to 35,000ft and back down everyday, I'll stick with using 78% nitrogen blend.

The supposed benefit that your tires will lose less air pressure with nitrogen I think is mostly BS, a well sealed bead will hold regular air nearly as well, last time I checked I only lost 3 psi in 6 months. As for the moisture, sure the moisture in regular air will break down the rubber quicker then dry nitrogen, but with modern compounds you will wear out the tread life a long, long, time before the inside breaks down from moisture.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have worked for two tire chains. one offered nitrogen and the other did not. And Il say that when I was racing,Yeah I enjoyed nitrogen in my tires. but that's cause I got it for free. Paying for nitrogen in my mind is stupid. especially for people that off road. your going to change your psi when you get out to the trail anyway and have to pump it up later. When my boss told me that If I put nitro in a tire with a mix of straight up air it would explode or something stupid like that. I called bs but I had no backing and never pursued to try to find out if it was true.I still cannot think of a reason It would.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
airborne20 said:
When my boss told me that If I put nitro in a tire with a mix of straight up air it would explode or something stupid like that. I called bs but I had no backing and never pursued to try to find out if it was true.I still cannot think of a reason It would.
Because it wouldn't... your boss was full of chit. Someone making things up because they don't know the facts.

·
Registered
316 Posts
This is such funny scam on the general public. Around here it appears to be some sort of status thing on expensive cars owned but ignorant rich people. Just go get some green caps and save the money.

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
It serves one purpose. To make money of the ignorant!

·
Registered
Original owner, 1983 P'up LS (diesel)
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Y'all are just over-analyzing this one. My point (while mocking the whole nitrogen thing, of course) was that the guy didn't even realize I was just asking for AIR in my tires.

Oh well, it's not much of a joke if you have to explain it.

Jack

·
Registered
316 Posts
I think we all get your joke. We just like to point out the people who are jokes for paying for it.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
how much does a bottle of that stuff cost?

they must be making good cash doing it, one bottle must fill many many tires.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Big O in my town has a machine that supposedly takes the other minor gasses (~20%) out of the air we breath and you get that nitrogen.

·
Registered
84 Posts
If you have a newer car with TPMS nitrogen actually helps a lot. When your pressure changes due to temperature nitrogen doesn't change as much as air and you trip the TPMS sensors less frequently.

My dad has a 11 Hyundai Sonata. He had a single tire re-filled at a body shop that used air and the next morning in the cold the car kept saying the tire was low. Later when it warmed up it stopped. He went back and got the air changed for nitrogen and hasn't had any more alarms.

So it does have its place.

·
Registered
18 Posts
using 78% nitrogen blend :lol:
Hafta remember that one....

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
jeepj667 said:
He went back and got the air changed for nitrogen and hasn't had any more alarms.
Could have got rid of the alarms with dry compressed air, too.

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
The only time my TPMS has gone off on my 08 RAV4 is when I actually had a flat tire. Regular air.

·
Registered
11,467 Posts
Nitrogen is slightly better then regular air but not enough to pay for it. A little more stable with temperature changes and no moisture, but thats it.

how much does a bottle of that stuff cost?
A bottle thats the same size as a 20# bottle of CO2 costs us around $15 for exchange (we give them the empty, they give us a full one). Which really isnt that much nitrogen since it is just pressurized gas and not liquid. I'm guessing you could maybe fill 4 32" tires from flat to 40 psi on one tank. You could do a bunch of them with the same size bottle of co2.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts