Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
High guys i'm new to isuzu's and have a couple problems with my trooper. I have joined different forums for my other vehicles(zukiworld, j-body.org, sho-time, etc.) and have found that i can get alot of help from ppl on these forums and it can be entertaining to so thats why i joined here when i got my newest vehicle. its a 1997 Isuzu Trooper 4x4 3.2L V-6 primarily used as a daily driver as my tracker is my "fun in the mud" truck

Well driving my truck yesterday the Auto Temp light and Check Trans. light came on briefly so when I got to work I Popped the hood to check the Trans. Fluid and I cant find a dipstick any where. In the owners manual all it says is to take it to the Isuzu dealer to check the AT Fluid level. well im not doin that so can anyone tell me how to check the AT Fluid??

Also When i first start the truck up the belt sqeals for about a minute then it goes away. it does this everytime i start it up no matter if its cold or hot Ive changed the belts and the alternator twice none of the pulleys apear to be bent or wobbling and the belts are at the proper tension anyone know what causes this?

Thanks in advance Guys for any help and i look forward to chatting with yall.

·
Registered
11,467 Posts
gmj2fast said:
I Popped the hood to check the Trans. Fluid and I cant find a dipstick any where. In the owners manual all it says is to take it to the Isuzu dealer to check the AT Fluid level. well im not doin that so can anyone tell me how to check the AT Fluid??
For some reason isuzu decided not to put a trans dip stick on them. You have to crawl under and remove the fill plug for it. If fluid dribbles out when the plug is removed you are ok. If not then you need to add until it does.

gmj2fast said:
Also When i first start the truck up the belt sqeals for about a minute then it goes away. it does this everytime i start it up no matter if its cold or hot Ive changed the belts and the alternator twice none of the pulleys apear to be bent or wobbling and the belts are at the proper tension anyone know what causes this?
Possibly the tensioner pully bearing squeeling or tight and letting the belt squeel on it. Remove the belt and spin all the pulleys by hand to make sure they spin freely.

Thanks in advance Guys for any help and i look forward to chatting with yall.[/quote]

·
Registered
943 Posts
In the owners manual all it says is to take it to the Isuzu dealer to check the AT Fluid level. well im not doin that so can anyone tell me how to check the AT Fluid??

I ended up buying the Isuzu service manual 6 years ago because of this issue. Underneath, you will see the DRAIN plug on the trans pan. A lttle towards the Passenger side, up higher, you will see an identical plug (called the OVERFILL screw). Start the vehicle cold (fluid temp below 86 degrees F). Move the shifter through all gears, then put in park. Climb underneath and open the OVERFILL screw. Add fluid until it flows out, then let engine idle until fluid reaches 90 degrees, then close the screw.

The general consensus (sp?) is to put fluid in until it overflows, then IMMEDIATELY re-install the plug. If not, you will have a lot of fluid pouring all over you when it warms up. A little overfull is fine. I use a fluid transfer pump that screws into the top of any qt bottle. It works fine.

NOTES:

1. In says my owners manual to check and change ATF if necessary every 120k miles. Baloney! I had mine flushed at 50k and it was disgusting! It shifts soooo much smoother now too.

2. The washer/gasket on the overflow plug does not last very long. On two occasions I had the rubber part stay on the bolt, while the washer came off. Talk about fluid pouring over my face and arms! I bought a handful of new washers and a new overfill plug. Now everytime I open it, I have a plug with a new washer on it just in case the old one fails.

I bought them at a local Honda dealer as they are the same as on the Passport.

The Haynes manual has good pictures of the location of these plugs. I will say that I very rarely had to add any ATF in 50k miles.

Good Luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.