Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all ! My name is Jamers and I am a new member as of today! !! although I have been reading the Forum for a long time.I have a 1992 3.2 Ls Trooper which usually purrs like a kitten ,which I have had for five years .I wore my 91 out and bought the 2cd gen.
I have a check engine light that is driving me crazy .I can drive less than 5 to twenty miles and with usually no problems but if I go longer the light will come on and sometimes [most times] the engine will stall when I let off on the gas .This is dangerous and quite nerve wracking especially on narrow curvy roads .The Trooper will restart usually .Sometimes I have to do the ECU reset procedure but it will always start up eventually and run smooth as silk .I am baffled .I need help .I love my Trooper but I am at the end of my string with trying to solve this my self. .Can any of you wonderful Isuzu owners help me .Thank you all.
Jamers [newlungs [email protected], [jamers49gmail.com]

[double lung transplant recipient 2006 UWSeattle]

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
********** said:
Take it to the auto parts store and have them pull the codes. That would get you headed in the right direction.[/quote

This a 1992[[non OBD] and codes can not be pulled but thank you for your efforts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey you guys! It's Jamers and I am still baffled and had hoped some one would have an answer.Please try to help me with this mystery . Can any one help .No it can not have it's code pulled with a OBD . Jeesh ,every body knows that about 1992 Troopers and I was not born under a cabbage leaf!!!! Thanks

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
You can pull the codes yourself. Find the 3-pin wiring connector that isn't connected to anything, under the center of the dash, near the gas pedal. With the key on, jumper pins 1 and 3 with a small wire or paper clip or whatever, the check engine light will flash codes. It will always flash 21 when the engine is off, that is the throttle position sensor or something. It is the ones after that that you want to pay attention to. If you have a shop manual you can look up the codes, or report back here and somebody can look them up for you.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
newlungs49 said:
Hey you guys! It's Jamers and I am still baffled and had hoped some one would have an answer.Please try to help me with this mystery . Can any one help .No it can not have it's code pulled with a OBD . Jeesh ,every body knows that about 1992 Troopers and I was not born under a cabbage leaf!!!! Thanks
Than'x Swede, but I knew that too but it will not store any codes ...but than'x for trying,I do appreciate it!

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Put a paper clip, pen, note pad in the console & go for a drive. When it stalls DO NOT TURN OFF THE KEY, pull over & jumper the connector. The code that always flashes on obd I is actually 12, ignore this. Write down any following codes. Then report back to us.

& try not to be insulting to those who might help you, I have pulled codes from my 92 trooper after getting the CEL, stalling & shutting off the key then back on to get the code, so you can too. BTW I WAS born under a cabbage leaf so this should be really easy for you to figure out how to do.

~psguardian

·
Registered
9,936 Posts
Are you experiencing any degraded driving? Chugging? Rough idle? Anything like that? Hopefully it will be something simple like EGR or O2 sensors.

Bart

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
psguardian said:
Put a paper clip, pen, note pad in the console & go for a drive. When it stalls DO NOT TURN OFF THE KEY, pull over & jumper the connector. The code that always flashes on obd I is actually 12, ignore this. Write down any following codes. Then report back to us.

& try not to be insulting to those who might help you, I have pulled codes from my 92 trooper after getting the CEL, stalling & shutting off the key then back on to get the code, so you can too. BTW I WAS born under a cabbage leaf so this should be really easy for you to figure out how to do.

~psguardian
Again thanx for getting back to me . I will try that method tomorrow .By the way I to am an Oregonian and some times my sense of humor precedes my brain!! Sounds like a plan and I never thought of turning it back on to pull the codes.Thanx for also getting the joke .It was meant to be humorous not rude.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
nfpgasmask said:
Are you experiencing any degraded driving? Chugging? Rough idle? Anything like that? Hopefully it will be something simple like EGR or O2 sensors.

Bart
The Trooper runs smooth as silk 99 percent of the time .I am going to try Guardians advice tomorrow and will get back to all with the results .I may be just missing the obvious on the code pulling and I think guardian has educated me on that .Thanx to all and I really mean it !!! The light never flashes so I will jumper it and get the code.
Also to answer your thoughts, my 02sensor appears to be OK .I also replaced the egr recently with a used one which did not appear to be non functioning .Actually the original egr also seemed to be OK but I replaced it any way. Again thank to you all.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
My apologies for misunderstanding your meaning, once we feet to know you a bit better those types of jokes will be easier to spot lol. You may want to check for a cracked vac hose, or pcv valve (this is what caused mine to stall).

~psguardian

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
psguardian said:
My apologies for misunderstanding your meaning, once we feet to know you a bit better those types of jokes will be easier to spot lol. You may want to check for a cracked vac hose, or pcv valve (this is what caused mine to stall).

~psguardian
Thank you my friend! I just checked the code on the non running engine and it is 21 which I understand to be normal SO I am set to investigate it on my trip tomorrow! It usually happens at about twenty some odd miles .By the way I am presently In New Mexico for the winter . Once I figure out to how to post a pic I will try to do that. And again thank you for understanding my warp sense of humor!!

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
newlungs49 said:
psguardian said:

~psguardian
Thank you my friend! I just checked the code on the non running engine and it is 21 which I understand to be normal SO I am set to investigate it on my trip tomorrow! It usually happens at about twenty some odd miles .By the way I am presently In New Mexico for the winter . Once I figure out to how to post a pic I will try to do that. And again thank you for understanding my warp sense of humor!!
Please put a short description of your vehicle in your signature.

As for the code 21, it is code 12 that is normal.

On an older isuzu, code 21 is usually:
*21 Throttle Position Sensor (Signal Voltage High)

When you check the codes, you will see one flash, a pause, then two flashes. That is 12. You'll see that three times.

Then if there are any other codes, they will be presented the same way. Three times.

Once all the codes have flashed, it will go back and flash code 12 again, three times.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you , I have updated my signature ! I have printed out the chart for codes in order to try to solve this .Thank you for your input! I will get back to every one soon .

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
psguardian said:

~psguardian
Hello to all , Thanks for teaching me to pull the code correctly you guys!It looks like code 24 which is either the speed sensor ,although Merlin did not think that would do it as it just runs the speedo? Any input on that question would be appreciated OR the pressure regulator vacuum switching valves . I will take a trip to pull a part and get them used as i know they have them. I should have got them when I got the EGR valve . Again Thanks to all

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
psguardian said:
Does your speedometer & odometer work: correctly 100%, sometimes, not at all?

~psguardian
Hi, The speedo ,odometer works some times .It started acting up at 168000 miles. Do you have any idea if this would cause the engine to stall when I slow down ,pullover and take my foot off the gas? I asked Merlin bout this and he seemed to think not but ??
I cleaned the connection but still it works off and on .

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
newlungs49 said:
psguardian said:
Does your speedometer & odometer work: correctly 100%, sometimes, not at all?

~psguardian
Hi, The speedo ,odometer works some times .It started acting up at 168000 miles. Do you have any idea if this would cause the engine to stall when I slow down ,pullover and take my foot off the gas? I asked Merlin bout this and he seemed to think not but ??
I cleaned the connection but still it works off and on .
IF YOU ARE GETTING A CODE 24 EITHER , YOU HAVE A BAD SPEEDO DRIVEN GEAR OR MOST LIKELY IT IS THE SPEED SENSOR, AND YES IT WILL CAUSE THE ENG TO STALL AND NOT RUN CORRECTLY, AND YES IT DOES ALL RUN THE SPEEDO , BUT IT ALL SO SEND A VEH SPEED SIGNAL TO THE ECM , IF YOU CAN FIND A GOOD USED ONE BETTER GRAB IT , A NEW ONE IS VERY EXP.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
+1 to JLEMONDs statement. It does cause stalling & the CEL. the sensor in the tight hand side of the tcase sends signal to the speedo, speedo sends signal to ECU. If this signal is: absent, sporadic, or out of sync with the ABS speed sensor(s) the ECU WILL stall after a short-moderate drive. Look at my past threads, there is one about the VSS, it has a link to testing procedures. (I'm up 22hrs & can't focus enough to go find it, maybe after a nap)

~psguardian

1 - 20 of 27 Posts