Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new here and just posted in the newbie section for my hello but I have some questions and would like some comments from the experienced folks on here.

Like I said in the newbie post we just got this 97 Rodeo. It runs well but it had some electrical issues at first due to the fact that someone wired a radio incorrectly. All of that has now been fixed and I have to say that replacing all of those itty bitty bulbs in those switches was not fun. We have the stock 16" wheels on there currently with a 285/75/16 tire (used) and there was no modification required.

We are going to redo the front suspension due to age and condition. This includes shocks, tie rod ends, upper and lower ball joints, and replacing the CV joint boots. We have gone ahead and cranked the torsion bars 2" and I am happy with the height and tire clearance. We have plans to flip the lower ball joint and add the low profile bump stops.

My biggest question is if I use 1.5" shackles in the rear will that lift it enough so that I can keep my height in the front?

I am also thinking about removing the sway bar because of the fact that there are problems with it hitting the shocks? Does anyone have any advise here?

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
I think it'll look fine with 2" front 1.5" rear. You won't be able to notice it unless you're on level ground but we all know "level" ground is hard to find.

The only thing about removing the sway bar is the driving characteristics are going to change. You're going to get more lean in turns, but nothing too extreme. Many guys here have removed there's and love it.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Yep, you'll be fine with a shackle lift and your front the way it is.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i am just having a really hard time deciding between the 1.5" basic lift and the 3" lift which would obviously mean doing the add a leaf. It is just really hard for me to picture for some reason.

As far as the sway bar goes I was wanting to use the energy suspension poly bushings kit, but I think I am just going to take it off and see how it handles and go from there.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Be careful driving at highways speeds until you get used to it. You are going to see a lot more body lean in curves like on exit ramps. I added helpers to mine to prevent the lean. Going to go with the add a leaf springs soon and remove the helpers. But I need the extra carrying capacity of the springs more than I need a lift.

·
Registered
646 Posts
on the rear of the rodeos that have leaf srpings if you do the basic shackle lift you have to double it to get the height you want for ex..
3 inch shackle lift equals an 1.5 inch lift by the way that truck looks good

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had seen that people were having problems with the sway bars hitting the shocks and that is why I am considering removing it. I like the way it drives right now. I haven't really seen any diminished power with the larger tires, but then again I haven't driven it that much either.

Thanks Ghost!! My husband and I were just talking about the fact that you have to double the amount added to the shackle to get the amount of lift you want. According to my calculations the Indy4x shackles are just under 1.5" and I am not thinking that they are going to give me the lift I want in the rear. The Calmini shackles say 2" of lift but I can't find any specs on them to know what the bolt spacing is with them.

We are looking at going with some Chevy drop shackles instead. The Chevy's are kind of backwards from the Rodeo's with respect to their shackles. The Durango suspension seems to be quite similar to the Rodeo and this is what they are using so I think we are going to give it a try. The other option is to have them fabricated. I unfortunately cannot weld so I would have to out source this job.

·
Registered
646 Posts
no problem :D and welcome to the planet :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Apparently we are getting the parts tonight and doing the shackle lift this evening. My husband is getting impatient so here goes nothing. We will be using the Chevy drop shackles as I said earlier. I will let everyone know how it goes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.