Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Welp, went and did it. Wife was down at the beach and I totally forgot to have my black-eyed peas, cabbage, etc. Now I will have bad luck, no prosperity, etc for the coming year. Any others?

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
Pork and Sauerkraut. I hate Kraut as it is.

Every time someone tells me it brings good luck according to German legend or something, I ask them how many World Wars Germany won.

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:D :D That's a good one. Can't believe I posted this in the wrong section. Just my luck (bad). :shock:

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
That is so weird you've said this because I've never heard of the black-eyed pea tradition till this year at least that I can remember.
I actually had to ask someone in another forum about that.

I don't see that this is in the wrong forum though...

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Way Amigo said:
That is so weird you've said this because I've never heard of the black-eyed pea tradition till this year at least that I can remember.
I actually had to ask someone in another forum about that.

I don't see that this is in the wrong forum though...
Do ya'll have black-eyed peas way up there? If so, better get to eatin'. :lol:

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Haha, no not that I know of. Usually it's just a couple of beers and a loud crowd if I go out. Sometimes just a couple of beers if I stay in and sometimes it's like "what do you mean it's not 2011??" :D

I probably should throw some on the stove. Could definitely use it, :)

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
Anything you can eat whilst still looking at the green side of the grass, is lucky !

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
shooter said:
Here you. Almost seems sacrilege sending this up there, unless Northeast Kingdom is in southern Vermont of course.:D http://southernfood.about.com/od/blacke ... 81231b.htm
Haha, way wayyyy up north, near the Canadian border. If it makes you feel any better though, my dad was from Canada. :)

Looks good, I'll have to try it sometime.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Selador said:
Anything you can eat whilst still looking at the green side of the grass, is lucky !
Yep, though I bet that can change depending on who's doing the cooking. :)

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Funny, a friend that moved to Oklahoma from here (Iowa) many years ago just asked about the black-eyed peas tradition. Evidently popular down there as well but don't recall it being popular in Iowa. Here some think oysters stew on New Years Eve. is the thing to do.

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
Way Amigo said:
Selador said:
Yep, though I bet that can change depending on who's doing the cooking. :)
I guess I should amend that statement with... Anything you eat that causes you to start looking at the bottom side of the grass, is not so lucky.

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Airhead rider said:
Funny, a friend that moved to Oklahoma from here (Iowa) many years ago just asked about the black-eyed peas tradition. Evidently popular down there as well but don't recall it being popular in Iowa. Here some think oysters stew on New Years Eve. is the thing to do.
That sounds darned good too.

Today I had deer and turnip stew cooked on top of a hand made wood stove in Eddie the welder's shop. Very tasty. He lives about 400 meters through the woods from me. Whenever he has something cooking on the heater, he hooks his compressor up to an old big rig air horn and gives me a couple of blasts.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
I think I am going to make my own tradition. big ole steak, mashed potatoes, corn, gravy, onions and mushrooms (grilled) for my steak, rolls and butter. Thats gonna be my new years tradition. In my eyes it signals good luck from a good meal.

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
I do make a 'traditional' kind of meal for myself on thanksgiving and christmas. Fairly simple, really. Lemon-pepper chicken boobies. Mashed taters. Brown gravy. Mixed veggies with lots of butter. Stuffing from a box. Cranberries. And pumpkin pie.

I guess I kind of link 'good luck' to it. In a way. But not really.

Just that making the meal, gives some affirmation to some part of me that takes comfort from following that sort of tradition. (Plus, it helped me get used to being alone, after divorce. The first couple of years away from my kids were really tough. And I eventually found it easier, if I at least made the meal.)

I made it for thanksgiving. But wasn't able to, for christmas. I fractured a vertebra in my back on the 21st, and have been confined to a chair or bed ever since.

Last couple days it has gotten a bit better, and maybe sometime in the next week, I'll at least try to make the meal anyway. Because in the end, it's not the day that counts, it's the tradition.

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Both those meals sound really good to me. I'm pretty much a traditionalist though we normally have steak and baked potatoes for Christmas nowadays. Jeff, hope your back gets better soon.

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
shooter said:
Both those meals sound really good to me. I'm pretty much a traditionalist though we normally have steak and baked potatoes for Christmas nowadays. Jeff, hope your back gets better soon.
Fortunately, getting better is also a tradition of mine !

:D :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts