Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, the wife's been wanting a new car for a while, she's had a 2000 Camry. I convinced her to get an SUV. The Camry got great gas mileage, but everywhere we go 99% of the time is within a few miles of home. The river is literally half a block away and both of our jobs are within 5-10 minutes, church is around the corner as are the grocery stores and all our friends. MPG's aren't a concern.

Anyway, after I convinced her she wanted an SUV, I also managed to convince her NOT to get certain SUV's, i.e. womanly SUV's Hyundai Sante Fe's, Ford Escape's, Nissan Rogue's, etc.... This is what we got her yesterday:

Yeah, she now has a White Off Road Edition Xterra. Pretty awesome. I guess maybe i'm slowly building up an arsenal of go anywhere do anything vehicles once the apocalypse comes.

On a side note, how is it that all the Japanese car companies manage to make such incredible SUV's? I mean, do they really go wheeling or off road in Japan? Yet that country has given us Isuzu's, Toyota's (FJ's and plenty others...) and the Nissan Xterra is more than legit. I don't get it, why have American car companies had so much trouble?

Anyway, back to bragging on the Xterra. I can't wait to take it off road. Now if I can just convince her to give me the keys! :D More pics later....

·
Registered
5,475 Posts
Those are sweet trucks....had one for a short time. but the rodeo was paid for, Xterra wasn't.

·
Registered
11,467 Posts
On a side note, how is it that all the Japanese car companies manage to make such incredible SUV's? I mean, do they really go wheeling or off road in Japan? Yet that country has given us Isuzu's, Toyota's (FJ's and plenty others...) and the Nissan Xterra is more than legit. I don't get it, why have American car companies had so much trouble?
Because Japanese companies build for 3rd world countries around the world where you need a tough 4wd to get around and arent picky about how plush it is. American companies build for soccer moms to go the mall without spilling their starbucks.

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Gizmo42 said:
Because Japanese companies build for 3rd world countries around the world where you need a tough 4wd to get around and arent picky about how plush it is. American companies build for soccer moms to go the mall without spilling their starbucks.
^this.

I had a '95 pathfinder which was the last year of the first generation, before they went to unibody construction. Basically I think of the Xterra as being the second gen (or 3rd in the case of the model you got) to the original pathfinder. It's basically the SUV version of smaller nissan pickup. Anyways, that truck was no lie the BEST vehicle I have ever owned. It just worked, non-stop without complaint. The thing was a tank, the most reliable car I've ever had and wasnt too shabby offroad either. I let it go with over 200K on the clock and the only mechanical failure it ever had was the starter went out at around 198K. Don't get me wrong, I love my troopers and my old land cruisers and stuff too but that old pathy was bulletproof. I imagine the xterras are too. Everyone I know who owns one has absolutely no problems with it.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I see why you were saying she wanted this version of the Xterra more thant he old round light version. It's a little easier on the eyes and more handsom, which tends to matter more to women. The previous generation is far more "manly" looking.

In either case, that is a nice truck, and it should last you for a while. The best part is, you kept the woman happy

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ImpulseRocket89 said:
I see why you were saying she wanted this version of the Xterra more thant he old round light version. It's a little easier on the eyes and more handsom, which tends to matter more to women. The previous generation is far more "manly" looking.

In either case, that is a nice truck, and it should last you for a while. The best part is, you kept the woman happy
Yeah, I could have gone with either one, but the 1st gen Xterra's didn't come with the Off Road Edition option. The 2nd gen's did (the '11's are rebadged as Pro-4X) which means I've got a rear locking differential.

This is what It'll look like with 2" of lift. (we're keeping the stock rims though... no blackout)

Other mods are still being discussed. (Most discussions are just me begging to do something expensive to her car that she doesn't want and/or need.) But so it goes haha.

·
Registered
392 Posts
our neighbor has a bada** xterra.. bedliner on the rockers, 35's, ridiculous lift, roof rack, etc.. if i had to get a newer non-isuzu suv, it would be this.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Sweet!!
I've got an 07 as my daily driver. It has a TON more power/torque than my trooper, even supercharged. The 6sp manual is nice too as well as the great MPG..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts