Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought the wife a new truck. 1998 Rodeo 4x4 3.2. 80k on the clock.

Now for the questions. ABS light is on, I am not that concerned with it. I read the FAQ and will check the sensor in the rear diff. It just started with a leak. Didn't see anything under it at the car lot, but got it home and a few days later noticed a small puddle under it. I am climbing under it tomorrow to find out where and what.

Is there anything I should worry about doing to the truck, maintiance wise? The truck has had an easy life still in very excellent shape. No one can believe it is a 98, nieghbors were guessing 02. I doubt it has seen 4x4 ever. Much less a dirt road.

One last thing. We have no key fobs, but I am almost 100% postive it is able to have them. The alarm works, key in drivers door can unlock and lock all. Anyway to find out for sure?

Thanks for any help,
Rusty

·
Registered
5 Posts
You can pick up a key fob on ebay for cheap if you shop around. If it doesn't work you are only out a few bucks. I wouldn't worry about buying one with programming instructions. You can find the info here and other places on the net (or give me an email). My RS didn't come with any either, but I have three working ones now.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, found where the leak is at. It appears to be the oil pan gasket. I pull the inspection plate between the transmission and the engine. I didn't see anything up there to really cause a concern, the inspection plate and seal around the back of the pan is just covered in oil. Luckly it only look to be a small leak that has just built up over time. My question now is what kind of manual (shop) is better. Factory service manual, Chiltons or Haynes? Is it worth having a FSM for the truck or is a Haynes/Chilton ok?

Or if someone can post how to drop the pan on a 3.2 auto, that would work too, but in the end it would be best to have a manual to refer back to.

Thanks for the help,
Rusty

·
Registered
591 Posts
So far, Helms seems to be the best service manual for the 1998+ Zu's. The oil pan leak you have, is it from the big aluminum upper pan or the little stamped steel bottom pan? The upper pan would be a major PITA to re-seal. I think they just come with RTV from the factory, but an AM gasket is available. Pretty sure the engine would have to be lifted to get the alum. pan off.
G/luck
Joel

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is the big one that is closest to the transmission.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It appears it should come off without a hitch? Any words of advice?

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
It appears that it will come off without a hitch, but you have an oil pickup that sticks down into the pan. This is what will keep you from being able to remove the pan and re-seal it. You either have to raise the engine or drop the axle.

If you were really paitient you may be able to get it loose and then clean it up well. And if the oil pan gasket is a two piece deal you might be able to put a new gasket in there.

I'm guessing that it's not too probable to think you can do this without some major work.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There is nothing under this pan to keep it from dropping all the way off. Is the oil pickup in the oil pan that has the drain? This is the one that is leaking. I don't mean to sound ungrateful or doubtful. I guess I am just going to have to go buy a manual.

Is this oil pickup attached to the pan? Or does it just hang down inside the pan near the bottom of the pan?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.