Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys/gals, just bought a 91 trooper witht eh 4cyl. 5 speed with a posi rear end. it's got black steel wheels and 31's on it now. with a push bar. i will be throwing some 33x12.5x15 MT's that iu have laying around on it. will i need to lift it? maybe a shackle lift on the rear and crank the torsion bars up front? i will be adding a safari rack, winch,and sliders to it. it's mostly a weekend camping rig/DD/hauling the trailer to the MX races. i have a YJ thats my primary wheeler. and info or ideas that you guys could help with would be cool, like...
whats the motor like?
what axles are in it?
hows the tranny/tcase?
can i swap manual hubs onto it?
is there anything on this model or year that i should watch out for?

thanks
Jay in victoria, b.c

·
Registered
763 Posts
TrooperJay said:
whats the motor like?
what axles are in it?
hows the tranny/tcase?
can i swap manual hubs onto it?
is there anything on this model or year that i should watch out for?
Motor is reliable and has a bit of torque, just never ever overheat or head will crack.

Axles are Isuzu 10 bolt fron and 12 bolt rear. ARB lockers exiost for both ends. They have 4.56 gears. 12bolt is on same level as a Dana 44.

The tranny/xfr case in an isuzu unit. They are integral. If you plan to wheel it, get the tera low (3.07) for $399. Itsd a necessity for the 5spds.

Mnaul hubs are available. The fontr axle is 17 spline. You can use hubds for any 88-2002 trooper. Aisins are generally considered the bet. They are a junkyard pick and pull item,. Yhere was a set in the 4x4wire.com classifieds for $50.

·
Premium Member
3,580 Posts
zutrooper (the warp-speed typist) said:
ARB lockers exiost for both ends
EXIST

ARB Lockers EXIST for both the front and rear differentials of a Trooper (or Rodeo - or Amigo)...

:wink:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ah!
thanbks, won't be going with arb's. has a posi in the rear already and that will be good enough. as i said, my main wheelin rig is a jeep Yj.

·
Registered
823 Posts
as i said, my main wheelin rig is a jeep Yj.
Until that YJ leaves you stranded, and you realize the troop wont....... :lol:

Seriously though, You will be AMAZED at what these trucks can handle, only trail spares I can think of (for gen 1 troops, adn rodeos for that matter), is complete tie rod assemblies..... the weak link, they can be had dirt cheap at the bone yards... they are a damn stout truck otherwise..

Chase

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks, but as i said it will be my dd/camping rig. the jeep is to much fun witht he 35's and convertible. plus, it's gettinga winch and sliders and a full width axle swap with a soa. the trooper will be fun still, and with the 33's on it i should help me with some clearence issues.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Trooper Jay...it sounds like you might have bought my old Trooper....

Is it a dark blue XS by any chance, with a repainted frame, home-made push bar, square fog lights, Hankook tires, and replacement carpet in the rear?

If so....I can tell ya all about that rig....

BH

·
Registered
110 Posts
OK then....I might know that one too. Does it have a custom green paint job?

BH

·
Premium Member
3,580 Posts
TrooperJay said:
if somebody can post a pic for me i can send it.
[email protected]
Send the photo(s) to me - I'll host them for you.
early_cave_drawings @ yahoo.com

·
Premium Member
3,580 Posts
Here ya go...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks, like i said before. hopefully put on a winch, new rear bumper with tow points, my spare 33's and a safari rack. should make a decent family rig.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.