Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just bought a 2000 Isuzu trooper can’t tell what model vin code :Jacds58x9y7j13490
is it a limited , s, Lt, or what does not have a badge anywhere I can find ?
also 1st 2 nd 3 rd generation?
i am going to have to put an engine in it as vale is stuck and cam is chipped it’s a 3.5 L v6 auto trans 2 wheel drive. Due to this forum I know it’s going to be easier than I thought to convert to 4x4 soooo thank you all for that !
I am a 27 year mechanic who took an involuntary vacation for 12 yrs and used to be a Toyota 4x4 nut who put $14,000 into a 1984 pickup then took it all out and put in a 1988 4Runner 9 inch lift 38 tires 440Hp small block 350 high steer crossover steering On the custom Sas swap so I’m no dummy just need good info on new to me brand since yota’s and pretty much everything else is to expensive.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Congrats on you new toy!

A 2000 Trooper would be second gen (first gen being 1984-1991 here in the US). I don't know much about 2nd Gen Troopers, but on 1st Gens the tag that shows the model and paint code and etc. is on the firewall on the left side (looking at it) of the engine bay.

·
Registered
591 Posts
2000 is a late second gen trooper. If you are that good at fabrication and building vehicles don't bother with the 3.5 & stock 4wd components. Drop in a V8 of your choice with a solid axle along with your choice of transmission and t case.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
2000 is a late second gen trooper. If you are that good at fabrication and building vehicles don't bother with the 3.5 & stock 4wd components. Drop in a V8 of your choice with a solid axle along with your choice of transmission and t case.
Can’t afford the gas prices or I would im on a severe budget as of right now but some day I’ll build the bad est trooper you like to see if I really like it stay posted but don’t hold your breath i. Also trying to rebuild my life and toolbox after bad separation woman so starting over again im sure many know what I mean !
Ps any los Angeles parts or cheaper suppliers and specialty trooper info/ parts helps thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would love to put a 4.3 L vortek in but they stopped making stand alone wiring harness in 1999 so I wouldn’t be able to pass smog and im told referee in Los Angeles is really picky and won’t hardly ever pass custom builds .
anyone on here from Los Angeles area ?

·
Registered
591 Posts
No
I would love to put a 4.3 L vortek in but they stopped making stand alone wiring harness in 1999 so I wouldn’t be able to pass smog and im told referee in Los Angeles is really picky and won’t hardly ever pass custom builds .
anyone on here from Los Angeles area ?
I build a lot of vehicles for California customers and I know its next to impossible in LA area. Im Nevada where almost anything is legal. Currently dropping a diesel, portal axles, 44" tires and 17 speed transmission in a 93 trooper

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
A 5.3 LS would likely get better mpg than the old 3.5. My brother got over 19mpg on a trip to Alaska with a 2002 Chev Extended Cab 4x4 with the 5.3 LS V8. I'd expect that it's heavier than the Trooper. And that rig has over 276,000 miles on it!!

Another buddy of mine has a 2007 Standard Cab Chevy Z71 4x4 with a 315hp 5.3 (which has cylinder deactivation), and he said that it's gotten up to 21 mpg on the hiway. Way better than my 3.4-swapped Gen I Trooper.

I would imagine you can get an aftermarket wiring harness for a 5.3 at many places online, it's one of the most common swaps going, nowadays. With a 2WD setup, you've got far less things to deal with, as opposed to swapping into a 4WD rig. Or just find a wrecked GM 2WD pickup with LS engine, transmission,wiring harness, everything you'd need to do the swap. Plenty of those around.

The other advantage to an LS is that there's so many of them available in the wrecking yards, for cheap too.

Too bad you're in CA, you could run a carbureted LS for simplicity. My Nephew put an LS into his '84 Chevy PU, using the Edelbrock manifold/carb and MSD ign kit. It runs Awesome.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No

I build a lot of vehicles for California customers and I know its next to impossible in LA area. Im Nevada where almost anything is legal. Currently dropping a diesel, portal axles, 44" tires and 17 speed transmission in a 93 trooper
Yea back in 2003 I put a 72 , 350 4 bolt main block with stock crank, scat 1 rods, speed pro hyper Tek Nic pistons, edelbrock rv1 cam, rpm performer 2.02 heads and all msd AL6 ignition in my 1984 Toyota pick up 310 Hp. Then in 2007 I did an Sas swap in a 1988 Toyota 4 runner moving axle 1.5 inch’s forward with high steer cross over steering, put my upgraded fj 80 vented rotors and v6 Toyota calipers, and 86 7/8 bore turbo brake booster in, 11 inch rear drum axle. 3 inch body, 5 inch springs, and 2.5 shackle lift for total of about 9 inch lift. Took the 350 out build again bored 60 over with 3.5 cc pop up pistons, scat crank, edelbrock performer cam and intake, and 1.6 roller rockers, for total of 440 Hp 480 foot pound torque.
Ilived in north cal so smog was much easier ( if you know how to get around it ) however at 7.25 mpg that’s not much affordable these days. Plus I’m in la so I have to deal with what I got too. I really want to build a 4 door Jeep but can’t even find a wrecked one for cheep. So for now that’s a pipe dream.
what the info conversion, smog deal on putting in a diesel is that doable in California same requirement smog equipment for that year engine and has to be same year or newer than vehicle ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Also from above provided vin number can anyone tell me what trim my trooper is is it an LS or what there are no body tags that tell me and I haven’t made it to where the vehicle is to look at and photo the engine compartment tag ??

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just bought a 2000 Isuzu trooper can’t tell what model vin code :Jacds58x9y7j13490
is it a limited , s, Lt, or what does not have a badge anywhere I can find ?
also 1st 2 nd 3 rd generation?
i am going to have to put an engine in it as vale is stuck and cam is chipped it’s a 3.5 L v6 auto trans 2 wheel drive. Due to this forum I know it’s going to be easier than I thought to convert to 4x4 soooo thank you all for that !
I am a 27 year mechanic who took an involuntary vacation for 12 yrs and used to be a Toyota 4x4 nut who put $14,000 into a 1984 pickup then took it all out and put in a 1988 4Runner 9 inch lift 38 tires 440Hp small block 350 high steer crossover steering On the custom Sas swap so I’m no dummy just need good info on new to me brand since yota’s and pretty much everything else is to expensive.
[/
Automotive tire Automotive exterior Gas Vehicle Auto part

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts