Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
My name is Jon, I live in Maine, and i just recently bought a 89 amigo. It runs/and drives, but the floor is almost totally shot under the passenger compartment.
My plans for this are to cut out the IFS, and do a Solid Axle Swap using GM 10 bolts ( mainly cause I have them here, and they were free.
I am looking for some more information on this swap, and wondering if anyone else has tackled this before as well.

Right now the only problem with the amigo is that it starts really rough. You have to push and hold the gas to the floor in order to start it, and it idles very low, and stalls often, the guy i bought it from put on a ton of aftermarket exhaust junk, so that may be the problem, but i'm not sure yet. We are going to cut the cat out,cause that may be plugged up.

Is there a way to get the engine codes checked without bringing it to a stealership?

thanks for the help.

Jon

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the links :)

that pic is "stinkbug" from pirate, I have been searching high and low for his tech stuff, all i can find is pics.

I am using pretty much the same suspension setup as he did.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have removed all the usless exhaust from my amigo, and unfortunatly, it has not solved the hard start and idle issue..

I am very unfamilier to this breed , and am looking for any ideas that you guys may have. just basically a place to start in this situation, mass air flow senor? throttle position senor? are there ways to test these before replacement ?

any help truely appreaciated

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
Check compression and adjust valves. These motors have issues with burning exhaust valves when the valve clearances haven't been adjusted at regular intervals.

I'm in the middle of doing a valve job on my '89 Spacecab, not because of valve adjustments but because whoever did head work 40,000 miles ago (141K on the clock now) used aftermarket exhaust valves and left sloppy valve guides.

(2) exh valves were totally nuked and the other 2 were showing lots of pits, they weren't long for this world, either.

I'm getting parts from Jerry Lemond and he says the aftermarket valves are cr*ppy and has seen them break. Needless to say Isuzu valves are going back in!

Anyway, not saying that's what's wrong with yours fer sur but when these motors start exhibiting symptoms like yours you need to rule out internal problems. Since you just got the rig, it wouldn't be a bad idea to adjust the valves, anyway.

Of course basic tuneup items such as rotor/cap/wires/plugs come to mind too, as obvious things. A malfunctioning EGR valve can cause hard starting and poor idle.

Just a few things to start with, Eh??!

HTH and Good Luck........ed

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
awesome man, I will start with a trip to nape for the tune-up parts(probably need it anyways) and then check the valves too.. thanks for the tips

Jon

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.