Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
bought the trooper not running, from a local auction i buy from every week.
They are pretty good about disclosing the issues on the windshield.
this one said bad fuel pump.
easy enough, thanks iszuzu for the easy drain plug

while draining the tank i notice the gas seems fresh, not bad like its been sitting (typical for a vehicle that needs fuel pump)
I get pump out and swap it, keep in mind i haven't tested the one known to be bad

Make a long story short, i get it all back bolted up, throw a battery in and turn key and i hear no priming of the pump
hmmmmmmmmmm
well lets diagnose this

i put 12 volts to the fuel pump relay and it kicks on immediately, the fuel pump that is.

i pull spark plugs and check if they are wet with gas and they are not, and i also checked for spark with plug against intake(maybe not the right way but i tried it) did not have spark, haven't gone as far to take the timing cover off because the car seems to have compression when trying to turnl over, it just seems either the anti theft or electrical thats unknownst to me is messed up,

any help? trooper 3.2 4x4 never ran under my care 200000 miles

· Registered
12,555 Posts
Check the wiring to the Crankshaft Position Sensor and make sure rodents have not chewed them up.
The Crankshaft Position Sensor on a 3.5L is on the lower RH side by the motor mount, I am reasonably sure it is the same location on a 3.2L

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Check the wiring to the Crankshaft Position Sensor and make sure rodents have not chewed them up.
The Crankshaft Position Sensor on a 3.5L is on the lower RH side by the motor mount, I am reasonably sure it is the same location on a 3.2L
I will check, but would this cause the fuel pump to not prime ?? Only reason I haven’t checked , on my auction site it says 3.5 but on the engine bay sticker it says 3.2 🤷🏼‍🤷🤷

· Registered
12,555 Posts
Attach the braided ground strap to the closest bolt threaded into the block.

No fuel injector pulses and no spark can be a Crankshaft Position Sensor (CKP) problem, the CKP generates the 58X timing signal the PCM uses to control the injectors and ignition system.

· Registered
152 Posts
In your image, there is the long bolt that sits horizontal , that the alternator sits on. Just above that are two bolts that attach the alt / power steering bracket to block, one above the other. Just past the top bolt is an angled bolt hole , the ground strap should kind of want to land there. Clean the terminal end and the bolt hole surface for a good connection. I believe that is an M8 x 1.25 x 12mm bolt. Eric

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Attach the braided ground strap to the closest bolt threaded into the block.

No fuel injector pulses and no spark can be a Crankshaft Position Sensor (CKP) problem, the CKP generates the 58X timing signal the PCM uses to control the injectors and ignition system.
Should I just replace the crank sensor ? I see the cam sensor on timing cover aswell, crank sensor is in there but it looks stock, still WOULDNT solve me not getting fuel

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In your image, there is the long bolt that sits horizontal , that the alternator sits on. Just above that are two bolts that attach the alt / power steering bracket to block, one above the other. Just past the top bolt is an angled bolt hole , the ground strap should kind of want to land there. Clean the terminal end and the bolt hole surface for a good connection. I believe that is an M8 x 1.25 x 12mm bolt. Eric
unfortunately Eric I put it on and it nothing

· Registered
152 Posts
Here…..
Automotive fuel system Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior

· Registered
152 Posts
Do you have an OBD2 reader ?

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
unfortunately Eric I put it on and it nothing
Do you have an OBD2 reader ?
Would it be that the computer is messed up as it never connects to my obd or is iszuzu picky ? I have a cheap Amazon scanner that works on almost everything. I bought this to get it going with a fuel pump turning into a nightmare

· Registered
1,155 Posts
OBD2 is standardized so for check engine codes it should work on an Isuzu if it works on other makes and models

· Registered
113 Posts
The OBD scanner should connect to the Trooper. I have a cheap bluetooth one and it works great. If it doesn't connect, I would start with the ECU and make sure it is connected correctly and properly grounded.

· Registered
152 Posts
Ok , does the scanner harness physically fit into the vehicle’s receptacle ? Or does it fit , but cannot communicate ? Please be very specific, we want to help you. Try plugging in the OBD reader , then turn the key to “on” , but do not start the car or engage the starter

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok , does the scanner harness physically fit into the vehicle’s receptacle ? Or does it fit , but cannot communicate ? Please be very specific, we want to help you. Try plugging in the OBD reader , then turn the key to “on” , but do not start the car or engage the starter
It fits into the obd receiver, I just took down the computer and I’m prettt sure it’s fried . Posting pic
Circuit component Passive circuit component Hardware programmer Guitar accessory Microcontroller

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I’ve worked on a lot of cars but never Isuzu, this one is a pain in the ***, but after all the ground wires and fuel pump replacement, I’ve concluded that it’s the compacitor in picture , leaking out. I have a friend into mother board repair, he looked it up and it’s a “vehicle start up” capacitor . Go figure , I get the one bad board in America, im going to pick up a used board and my friend will replace this bad capacitor, I’ll keep y’all posted thanks

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.