Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
V6 or 4-cyl? Anything we can help answer?

This is a good place to window-shop for offroad ZuZu parts & accessories: Isuzu Store

You can also find a ton of past modifications posts here, by using the "search" feature.

Whereabouts in AK? My Uncle has 20 acres up in Nikiski on the Kenai Peninsula, and my Mom has a 10-acre adjoining plot with a small log cabin. My Brother and I built a nice garage a few years back, and we're looking forward to going up there next Summer, providing covid restrictions don't get in the way. She wants to drive the Al-Can one last time, and there's no telling what Truedeaupe will have up his sleeve!

Cheers & Welcome to the Planet..........ed

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

This is a good place to window-shop for offroad ZuZu parts & accessories: Isuzu Store

You can also find a ton of past modifications posts here, by using the "search" feature.

Whereabouts in AK? My Uncle has 20 acres up in Nikiski on the Kenai Peninsula, and my Mom has a 10-acre adjoining plot with a small log cabin. My Brother and I built a nice garage a few years back, and we're looking forward to going up there next Summer, providing covid restrictions don't get in the way. She wants to drive the Al-Can one last time, and there's no telling what Truedeaupe will have up his sleeve!

I have the 2.8L in the LS, the 89 has a 4cyl. I have been given a 4.3L by a friend that I am rebuilding and plan on swapping with the 2.8L. I live in Kenai as a matter of fact and used to live in Nikiski when I first got here in 88

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
The 2.8 has a GM 60-deg bell housing with the starter on the driver's side (same location on the engine as a FWD GM V6). The 4.3 won't bolt up to the 2.8 MUA5 trans without an adapter.

Advance Adapters, many years ago, made a kit to bolt a 4.3 up to a 4-cylinder MUA5 transmission. This is no longer in production but I'd imagine you could cobble up an adapter plate to go to either the 6-cyl or 4-cyl transmission. Or maybe there's an adapter out there that goes from 90-deg GM V8 bolt pattern to the 60-deg pattern. Fiero Dudes perhaps. They do a lot of big V6 and V8 swaps.

Here's an ancient article at off-road.com of a 4.3 swap using the Advance Adapter kit. They also did a lift and an SAS mod to the front suspension. I expect it was mostly to gain clearance for the 4.3 oil pan.

http://www.off-road.com/aimages/articlestandard/isuzu/452005/194437/article.html

Here's an old 4.3 swap discussion at the Planet:

Which lead me to this guy, V-8 Archie, a supplier of Fiero V8 Swap parts:

So maybe check with him to see if he's still doing those, if you haven't already worked out an adapter (or alternate transmission setup).

My Uncle started out in Soldotna when it was just a 2-lane-road town, now look how big it's gotten. He moved to Nikiski many years ago. Been up in AK since '62, I think he's gonna stay. He got kicked by a momma moose last year when he rounded the corner of the house and there was her calf. She was nearby and not happy. He's lucky he wasn't permanently crippled or worse. Had to do therapy and is still having trouble getting around. Life can be tough in AK, especially for our elders!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea the moose are mean with the babies. I used to work as a mechanic at a Chevy dealer. 90-92. Now I have been a welder/fabricator since 92. I can build anything with metal. I have the V6 manual 5speed transmission 30-80 LE. After reading up on 4.3 swap it would be far easier to put a 3.4 in it. My 2.8 runs a little rough but has power and 4by’s very well. Boats were launched in the salt water with this trooper so I had to weld some flatbar plates I made to repair frame in rear. Of coarse the rocker panels are rotted as is most the lower edges of the body. I am going to cut the rot out and replace with box tube and arms that bolt to the frame and I will weld the tube to the body. I am going to cut the fenders a bit to remove bad areas and put a thinner flatbar 6” to 8” wide and make into fender flares. So pretty much metal all the way around the bottom. I replaced the whole front clip from my 89 as the 90 clip had bad rot spots. I painted the front clip with undercoating. The front fenders I put back on after I painted them with bed liner. Good also painted with bed liner. I am going to paint the whole thing this way as I repair it. So this moose season the passenger front door electric window quit out in the woods. There are some nasty mud holes I have to go through to get where I hunt. So I took the 89 door which has manual window crank and painted and swapped the whole door before I went back out hunting later that day. I plan on switching out all the windows from auto to manual. The 4 motors isn’t a lot of weight but it will shed a few pounds. I picked the 90 up for $1000. It sat a few years and needed some love and a radiator. It fired right up when I put the battery in. The idle was high with mild backfires. Exhaust rotted. So now it has new exhaust I welded up. Also new brakes shocks bearings. New sensors(broke the O2 sensor off in a mud hole on rocks. Haven’t changed the knock sensor yet. I picked up the 89 for $350 and it ran rough(O2 sensor was bad as I tried to put it in the 90 after I broke it) 89 has 4cyl EFI. Figuring transmission is shot or clutch as it wants to try to roll but doesn’t. Not an issue as I needed the radiator. Also gained driver door mirror, front windshield with no cracks, 2 sets of rims and new set of tires. Spliced most of 89 grill to 90 grill to have complete grill. Drivers headlight was a bitch to get. Looked at a few, all driver headlights broke. eBay to the rescue. I am going to switch over to LED everything and build my own grill later. Next phase is to finish body work, lift it, and start bumpers. I have 3” XXH pipe bumper in front(I can knock down trees with no damage to anything). But too heavy haha.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
That's quite a project, just a wee bit of rust, eh! And yeah, the 3.4 is WAY easier to deal with. Rodney Dickman Fieros has the drilling jig to relocate the starter, it makes it foolproof. You can lay out the holes freehand, but it's quite hairy. The drilling jig makes it so easy. You can use a clutch out of a '91 3.1 Pickup, it's larger diameter and will have better holding power (good for the larger engine). I thought my old Trooper with 2.8 ran pretty well, until I did the 3.4 swap into my '90 LS. The difference in power is remarkable.

My 3.4 swap is almost 20 years old. Been enjoying it for a long time! I have collected a bunch of writeups and info for the swap, if you're interested send me a private message with your email address, or just post it here if you don't care about displaying it publicly. I'll forward the files to you. But it doesn't sound like you'll have any issues with the swap, given your past experience.

A "torquer" cam will help with the bottom end. Delta Cams in Tacoma, WA has a decent torque regrind for these, I've used it in a 2.8-to-3.1 "Stroker" build. And so does Comp Cams, their "252" grind is the same cam that came in the NLA 3.4 "Goodwrench" crate motor. You do need to install a set of early Z28 valve springs when using this cam. This cam is tuned for exellent low-end & midrange torque, not top-end.

My folks had always wished they had a Trooper up there to run around in, and I ended up building one (with the stroked 2.8), an '89 LS that I picked up with a dead 2.8 for $500. Gave it to them but my Stepdad got sick and the Trooper never made it up. After he passed in 2011 we gifted the Trooper to my Nephew and he's still driving it.

I've rarely seen any Isuzu up there in the Kenai area, maybe sometime next Summer we'll see yours running around. on our next trip to Home Depot!

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Man what a lot of work! Whattaya gonna do in AK, eh! Not like the wrecking yards are overflowing with Gen I Troopers. It's getting harder to find parts even in the Lower 49.

My Uncle has a couple of really cool 80's-vintage Dodge Ram D50 Turbodiesels sitting in his yard, just rusting away.

They spent a lot of time down on the beaches. I understand why folks don't get rid of things up there, very expensive to ship parts up.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the info! It is a bit harder to find them up here, but I bought these 2 and got pretty lucky. I see 1 or 2 driving around. Can find 1 or 2 up in Anchorage or the valley. Yea the frame rust is mostly gone after I got in there and went crazy. I am going to do a 1” or 2” body lift so I can replace a rib that rotted, but ultimately the floor of the body was under coated so it is solid! I have $2,100 into this so far, so not a lot. I did beat it up a bit moose season. Usually my SilverAdo gets beat up which is why I bought this. Both the truck and the trooper got the rocker panels smash up this year as the “road” I drive was deep and nasty! Trooper never got stuck, an older jeep 2 door did and my truck did but I was towing a trailer and he front hooked a rock. The jeep was in 4 low which is why it got stuck, I go 4 high so I can pedal to the metal when I need to. My email is [email protected]. I do appreciate all your helpful information you can send.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Hey, long as you have enough patch metal and a welder, no problem! 😎

Got your email sent, Have Fun!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts