1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Vehicle: Isuzu Trooper II
Year: 1986
Engine: 4 cyl. 2 bbl

I appreciate in advance any advice that anyone can give me regarding the ignition systems on this vehicle. I just bought an old junker (1986)that was running great (but needed cosmetics, wheel studs, brakes suspension, etc.). After putting as much money into the car as I had paid for it ($400.00) I was taking it for a short ride around my neighborhood and it just quit. No hesitation... no stumble... nothing... dead. Checked gas flow at carbureator and got good spurts. I've tested the ignition coil and tested all plugs and wires and they all checked out. I even replaced the ignition coil, and the old and crusty alternator. Still nothing; no spark. The fellow who had this truck before me dug around the emission control systems and carburator by plugging lines and rerouting wires. I do not believe that this is the reason for the failure of the engine to start. The truck sounded excellent for one of its age and appearance when I bought it. Anyway, I am hoping that there are some of you out there that may have more knowledge of these trucks than I do. I consider myself fairly mechanically inclined, but I am by no means a professional. I am quite frustrated and am feeling myself becoming obsessed with getting this thing to run. This truck was supposed to save $$$ in the long run, as my Ford E250 workvan has a voracious appetite for gasoline.
Thanks for reading my post, and hopefully one of you will put me on the right path.
peace and prosperity
Steve

·
Registered
24 Posts
I hope this helps but if it just quit with no spark

I would check the distributor to see if anything in there could be bad, hopefully someone on here could tell you more, but if the 86 had eletronic ignition, the pickup coil could be bad.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input. I do not believe it is the distributor, as I've checked for spark from the ignition coil wire (before it even gets to the distributor). I recently obtained a copy of the wiring diagrams for this vehicle from the public library. I have my test light and voltmeter, a copy of the wiriing diagrams, a pack of smokes and some time to spare.... lucky me :x

thanks again
Steve

·
Registered
7,210 Posts
Check your coil.
Check all your electrical connections. (Battery, grounds, all the little connectors)
Check your cap and rotor.
Take the cap off and have someone turn the truck over make sure the rotor botton spins.

That's all I can think of.

Joe

·
Registered
7,543 Posts
ok, so the coil is giving spark? Since its a 86, is it a 2.3l(4zd1) or 1.9l (g200z), either way, check to make sure the distributor is spinning especially on the 1.9L, the gear could have come loose OR the rotor on IN the cap came loose. Had a porsche 944 do that to a friend, screw came out, car died instantly, no spuddering. Also take the cap off, maybe there is damage to the contact point on the rotor AND have someone crank the motor while you look at the rotor to MAKE sure its spinning.
good luck
Ron

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.