Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently bought an '88 Trooper II. I thought it was a great deal, until I discovered last night the 4wd is not engaging. It has an auto tranny, with manual hubs. The 4wd light comes on, and it will shift into low range, but the front wheels don't pull that I can tell. I can drop the back tires in a mud hole, and they will spin with the front sitting on dry ground. No noise, grinding, or anything to indicate they are not pulling or something is wrong other than they aren't working. I'm new to Isuzu, so patronize me in explanations. Is it something simple, or has my good deal gone bad? Any suggestions? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
I assume that you have the 2.6l 4cyl engine.

This may sound like a dumb question, but does the 4wd light come on when you shift into 4wheel drive? You have the hubs set in the lock position, right?

After that, check to see if the driveshaft has been removed, or maybe one of the front axle shafts.

The next step would be to remove the hub covers. Those hubs can be assembled incorrectly, and they might not engage.

Bruce did an outstanding job describing the hubs at the following URL:

http://myweb.cableone.net/bcanderson/tr ... 0hubs.html

-Tad

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe I overstated "patronize"...LOL!

Yes, the hubs are locked in. I noticed today the light not wanting to light up when the shift lever locked in 4-hi or lo, and even some hesitation going into lo. The light will come on when you wiggle it around, so I'm figuring worn contacts there or something and probably unrelated, since they came on fine earlier, and it still didn't work, but I don't know. I'm assuming, being an '88 with manual hubs, that when you put it in 4wd, it should be in 4wd, nothing complicated about it? I also figured there would be some noise if something internal in the transfer case/diff was awry? I didn't think it could be so simple as a burnt solenoid. Not my luck anyways.

Thanks for the reply. I'm gonna do some more indepth checking as to what's actually engaged, and what's not this afternoon. I'm sure the hubs aren't as easy to get off as my Superduty. It's only got finger-removable wire keepers...

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have a 1991 Trooper and the 4wd wasn't working. At first I thought it was just the hubs, bought those, and when I was replacing those, realized that my passenger side CV shaft was all eaten up....Fun finding the right parts from the dealer.

KTT

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I remember last night looking, and I'm certain the front drive shaft is present, and I'm certain the driver's side prop shaft is there, and pretty sure about the passengers. Bottom line, I'm pretty sure everything is there, but possibly not connected. I'll check what turns and what don't. Where I'm baffled is the lack of any kind of tell tale noises denoting something catastrophically wrong.

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
Well, on that transmission, the transfer case is cable operated and hydraulically powered. The cable from the shifter moves a lever on the transfer case. I believe that the 4wd indicator is seperate from the shifter, in that it indicates which gear the transmission is in, not which position the shifter is in.

You should try to turn the front driveshaft with your hand, with the hubs locked, the engine off and the truck in 2wd. It should not turn more than about 1/4 inch. If it does, check and see which front CV (prop)shaft is turning - then take apart that hub and check it. If it doesn't turn, then the problem is that the transfer case isn't shifting into 4wd. You should then check the cable at the shifter end and at the transfer case end.

Don't be confused by the speedo cable, the shifter cable connects to the driver's side of the transfer case.

-Tad

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I pulled the hubs, and seems there's and important part missing...LOL! The clutch. Hopefully, they were removed because they were stuck, and not because of some 4wd problem. I am in the process of trying to locate some now. Thanks for the help. I probably would have never figured that out, although in retrospect, it's pretty intuitive. I just wouldn't have expected there to be parts missing. Welcome to used vehicles, I guess...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.