Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to Mammoth Lakes for holidays trip, and Trooper burned half of oil over 330 miles trip mostly uphill. Ride back was no problem, no oil burned and got 17 mph. 330 miles on one tank, almost like my Accord :)
On this point I have no other option then completely powertrain swap.
I can not see any financial reason for stay with existing engine, because fix everything to the level, which I need will cost around 5K.
So, that is my long term project plan.
1. Swap to LS1 + 4L60E 4x4 powertrain.
2. Front solid axle.
Yes, it will be not easy, especially in California, to make it street legal.
I need some input in this issue also.

Any suggestions are welcome. If anybody want to have my Trooper as is, we can discuss this option also.
Possible, I will have 6VE1+AISIN30-40LE(with custom controller)+TOD powertrain for sale.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I think you are overestimating the costs on fixing the current motor. Sounds like it has the somewhat normal oil consumption but isn't like the motor is junked. Also it isn't like pulling the motor, putting it back together and installing it is outside your capabilities.

I'd think for at most 2,500 you could have someone go through it, rebuilding the heads, drilling the oil drain holes in the pistons and so on. Would be effectively new and would have the oil consumption resolved.

The SAS and LSx swap certainly sounds like fun but also seems a likely way to take a truck you can drive 330 miles each way to an off road trip into a truck that is in pieces in the garage or turn it into a truck you can trailer 330 miles each way behind a 70k dollar 3/4 ton diesel truck to a off road trip.

You obviously have some skills and tenacity - reading a motor would be a chip shot for you.

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
5k? lol.

Try 1k at max assuming you put it together your self.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Med!c said:
5k? lol.

Try 1k at max assuming you put it together your self.
Med,

I know I put a replacement crank in one but didn't touch the heads (they were fine) and certainly could have done it for 1k to include the crank. It cost more than that but only because I was an idiot and wasted time/money trying to "fit"bearings on an oblong crank and egg shaped rod.

That said I was willing to do it somewhat on the cheap as opposed to buying OEM parts and I did all the work myself except some of the measurements.

In this case the crank and all would be fine. I'd want someone to measure the cylinders and maybe do the hone to know it was done just right but heck that wouldn't be more than 200.00. Put new rings, bearings and oil pump in it and easily under 1k and the oil issue is fixed.

It isn't going to make 600 lb/ft of torque (unless you get the right stickers and a K&N filtercharger) like an LSx could but is a lot less money.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Only two new cats will cost $1850.
Set of O2 sensors $640
I'm ok to rebuild it. Just want to do best for my application.

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
I would think you could use generic cats for about 1/10 of that cost...

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Yeah, some good high flow cats would likely be around 300 each. I think 5K is a bit of an over estimate, but I think that 1K is a major under estimate. I would rather guess high and be pleasantly surprised vs the opposite.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I'm liking this idea Vovkus. I would also consider an LQ9. They are good for a little more power and torque than the LS1, and only weight a little more, plus they can be found for pretty cheap. A LQ9 with a cam and tune should make right around 425-450hp. You might need some 1tons for that much power though, depending on tire size and how you like to apply the skinny pedal.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Because it make sense to replace them. Burned oil usually kill them fast.
If cats are bad, engine can not work efficient. Just fix oil burning issue not the goal for me, if I will pull out engine, then better to rebuild whole thing.
To put in Chevy power-train is possible, but will involved a lot of things for
complains with CA emission/safety rules. Whole electric system need to be replaced on the top of some metal work. But there a lot of benefits also. Who know, how long Isuzu parts will be available here.
Another option - rebuild existing motor and add Alpine supercharger and Trooper will be good for another 10 years.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
vovkus said:
If cats are bad, engine can not work efficient. Just fix oil burning issue not the goal for me, if I will pull out engine, then better to rebuild whole thing.
To put in Chevy power-train is possible, but will involved a lot of things for
complains with CA emission/safety rules. Whole electric system need to be replaced on the top of some metal work. But there a lot of benefits also. Who know, how long Isuzu parts will be available here.
Another option - rebuild existing motor and add Alpine supercharger and Trooper will be good for another 10 years.
I think a V8 would be awesome, but with the way gas prices are heading you might want to look into a bigger V6 maybe. Just a suggestion. Either way this will be a fun/frustrating project! I wonder if it would be easier to just register it out of state? A Chev 4.3L V6 would be pretty great in that trooper, and there are a lot of aftermarket parts available for that engine. Could even run TBI or Carburetor, if that's CA legal... Good luck!

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I think as long as your engine comes from a car newer than the one it is transplanted in, then you are Cali compliant. Good look on finding a Alpine supercharger, and I think I'd rather have that V8 torque.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
can't you get a set of magnaflow cats for under $100? Then it's just a matter of cutting out the old and welding in the new.

·
Registered
90 Posts
ZuminaZX said:
can't you get a set of magnaflow cats for under $100? Then it's just a matter of cutting out the old and welding in the new.
I just bought a 2-1/4 magnaflow cat for $60 but its not CA compliant. The great communist state of california thinks theyre air is special given what all those substances that for some reason only cause cancer in california... I mean really have you ever bought a product that say "This product contains substances that are known to cause cancer in the state of california"

Ok ranting aside basically a CA compliant cat is 2-3 times the cost of a regular cat. Theres nothing special about them just that the california board tests the model and stamps them approved.

Cat talk aside the new GENIII / GENIV GM v8s will get the same mileage as our 3.2s/3.5s. Your looking at 15-20mpg depending on city or highway.

My friends father squeezes 20.5mpg out of his 2011 6.0L ext cab short bed 4wd sierra...

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
vovkus said:
LOL I see what you are saying but sounds like an old buddy of mine "well if you have the radiator cap off you may as well replace the motor with an all aluminum supercharged Donovan block - I mean have you ever seen a stock LSx block come apart - it isn't pretty."

Would new cats be better - sure. Would an LSx or LQx with an 8 speed auto, twin intercooled turbos and so on be better - no debate.

My buddys car - has been getting rebuilt since 1996. When it is done it will be great - hope one of us is alive to see it but isn't likely as we are in our 40s and is probably at least a 100 year project.

If you have the time, money and resources then certainly I salute you but is a lot to take on.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I done transmission swap before, and a lot of people been skeptical about my project. First, I spent about two months just for information research. And then got parts for swap.
I have access to good drag racing shop with very talented engineering team, and this is huge help. But even in the good shop whole power-train swap will take some time and a lot of work.

About why I need new catalytic converters, they are part of engine closed control loop. Yes, I can build CAT emulator and adjust all parameters on ECM, but I am in CA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalytic_converter

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
Hatfield said:
I think as long as your engine comes from a car newer than the one it is transplanted in, then you are Cali compliant.
That is part of it, it also needs to have ALL emissions equipment from the vehicle the engine is from, so if it has EGR, AIR, EVAP etc all of that needs to be transplanted from the donor vehicle and be working just as the donor vehicle left the factory. Then you need to have a BAR Ref certify it, needs to pass smog etc.

I myself would look into fixing the oil issue in your current motor, especially after everything you have done with the Aisin swap etc.

As for the LQ9 making 400+ hp with a cam only, if at the rear wheels, possible, but not something I think he would want to drive in a Trooper every day. The LQ9's are a bit more expensive as they were the "hot" 6.0L, the LQ4's can be had REAL cheap and I myself would look into the LM4 or L33 (L33 is better, rated at 330hp over the 295 of the LM4) 5.3 V8's, all aluminum like the LS1 (saves some weight), makes about the same power, cheap and the sleeves can be overbored to stock LS1 bore specs if you eventually want to do that. If you decide to go the LSx route let me know, I'd be glad to help you with the swap, I have done a few swaps into other vehicles before with this engine platform.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
RamAirZ said:
That is part of it, it also needs to have ALL emissions equipment from the vehicle the engine is from, so if it has EGR, AIR, EVAP etc all of that needs to be transplanted from the donor vehicle and be working just as the donor vehicle left the factory. Then you need to have a BAR Ref certify it, needs to pass smog etc.
I know, lol at anyone thinking you can delete smog equipment in Cali on any newer car.

As for the LQ9 making 400+ hp with a cam only, if at the rear wheels, possible, but not something I think he would want to drive in a Trooper every day. The LQ9's are a bit more expensive as they were the "hot" 6.0L, the LQ4's can be had REAL cheap and I myself would look into the LM4 or L33 (L33 is better, rated at 330hp over the 295 of the LM4) 5.3 V8's, all aluminum like the LS1 (saves some weight), makes about the same power, cheap and the sleeves can be overbored to stock LS1 bore specs if you eventually want to do that. If you decide to go the LSx route let me know, I'd be glad to help you with the swap, I have done a few swaps into other vehicles before with this engine platform.
That was just what I heard from some 240 guys running LQ9s with a mild cam and tune. Word on the street also was that with the L92 heads and intake you could see close to 500hp. Some guys said they were seeing the engines go for $500-1000, but it's been awhile ago since I talked to them.

You should look into installing a Vortech type supercharger. I bet you could find someone that would make you a bracket to mount one, and I know a lot of people would be interested.

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
The NP208 and NP231/NP241 are and should be a direct bolt-up, you SHOULD be able to bolt an NP205 to a 4L60E with the right parts (the version from the TH350 should fit) and you can buy adapters to fit alot of other cases, I would look into the Dana 300 as it's very common, tons of aftermarket, strong and compact so it fits good in our trucks. A member did the swap in a Passport using a 700R4 (same as a 4L60E basically, just early version) and a Dana 300. Here is his swap:

http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic ... ight=700r4

The engine in the ebay ad is the flex fuel version of the 5.3 that year. They came with larger fuel injectors and what not.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts