Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found this forum and it seems like the only one with much activity. :D

My name is Jim and I live in Connecticut.
I'm keeping the same username I have on other automotive & truck forums I participate in.
Just married and my wife has a 1995 Honda Passport. (hope that isn't sacrilege to say here. )

Drove her car for the first time last week and all I can say is :shock:
That thing needs a lot of suspension work... at least to start.
Clunking, knocking, rattling and squeaking around every corner and over every bump.
Not safe at all. :cry:

So I'm going to assume new balljoints, tierod ends, control arm bushings, sway bar and spring bushings.
From a quick glance it doesn't seem rotted underneath. Which is a surprise here in the North East.
But I know absolutely nothing about it's service history.

Hopefully I can pick up some hints and common problems of these vehicles since It seems I'm now going to
get to know it better than I had wanted to. :lol:

Oh, and tires.
Winter is coming and her "Rodeo" has some half lifed, sidewall cracking highway tread shoes.
Not that she ever intends to go offroading, but I'd like to know what people are using and why.

Sorry to be writing a book.
I'm off to browse the forum and see what I can find.

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
Do the ball joints first, along with tie-rod ends. At the same time you can repack the hubs (there's a nice howto here on it). Test drive it and see how it does. If the clunking, rattling and squeaking go away, go get it aligned. If they don't I'll bet you need upper control arm bushings. The replacement of those requires a press so you can decide if you want to tackle them yourself. I've done them and it wasn't fun, but doable. Lower control arm bushings are another story and could drive a pastor to drink.

-Tad

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the welcome Tad!

Is there a particular manual you'd recommend?
Or a pdf of the factory service manual available around here?

I'll have to get it up on the lift and pry around on everything to see what's really happening in front.
Honestly, I haven't been under it except for a cursory glance.

At 16 years old I'm just going to buy a complete kit of poly bushings and expect to replace all of those fasteners.
If I have to rip into the front end I might as well.

What's the deal with the lower control arm bushings?
Is my 25ton press enough, or do I need heat?
Is there a tutorial on here somewhere?

The shocks seem okay, for now.. it doesn't pogo.
There's too much else $$$ to deal with at the moment.

Something clunks in the rear going around corners, but I don't know if that's a sway bar or the spring shackles, or...
Actually, I don't even think it HAS a rear sway bar, but it does have those nice 16" aluminum wheels. :)

Was surfing through the forum and have already picked up good information.
I notice there aren't many stickie's where one could easily find in depth information about common failure issues.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
Reactions: ArdWrknTrk

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
ArdWrknTrk said:
Thanks for the welcome Tad!

Is there a particular manual you'd recommend?
Or a pdf of the factory service manual available around here?

I'll have to get it up on the lift and pry around on everything to see what's really happening in front.
Honestly, I haven't been under it except for a cursory glance.

At 16 years old I'm just going to buy a complete kit of poly bushings and expect to replace all of those fasteners.
If I have to rip into the front end I might as well.

What's the deal with the lower control arm bushings?
Is my 25ton press enough, or do I need heat?
Is there a tutorial on here somewhere?

The shocks seem okay, for now.. it doesn't pogo.
There's too much else $$$ to deal with at the moment.

Something clunks in the rear going around corners, but I don't know if that's a sway bar or the spring shackles, or...
Actually, I don't even think it HAS a rear sway bar, but it does have those nice 16" aluminum wheels. :)

Was surfing through the forum and have already picked up good information.
I notice there aren't many stickie's where one could easily find in depth information about common failure issues.
The problem with the lowers is that you can't get your truck in the press and you can't remove the arm until you use the press, oh and they rust in place. Joe here had to cut his LCA off and find a replacement it was so bad. Don't do those unless you KNOW that they are bad. They are rarely the source of complaints.

-Tad

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tad said:
The problem with the lowers is that you can't get your truck in the press and you can't remove the arm until you use the press, oh and they rust in place. Joe here had to cut his LCA off and find a replacement it was so bad. Don't do those unless you KNOW that they are bad. They are rarely the source of complaints.
I see.... :?
Sounds like a failure in the engineering dept. :p

I took a peek under her truck today and found that the rear spring bushings are non existent.
Noted the bolt size and will get some new dichromate 10.8 this week at the hardware.

The front swaybar links look pretty corroded too.
Any feedback on the Energy brand 14.5101 poly kit?

The tie rod ends seemed tight.
The alignment is way off though.
The insides are bald. Camber or toe, I don't know...
Suppose if the UCA bushings are gone that could account for it.
LCA bushings noted. (thanks for the heads up on that nightmare)
IDK about the ball joints until I can get it on the lift, but assume they're as neglected as the rest.

Thanks again for helping the noob out! :-X22

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
GoodyMOBB said:
Welcome! And might I just say that your wife has fantastic taste in vehicles!
And obviously I have fantastic taste in wives! :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts