Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2000 Honda Passport 4WD Automatic, Leather, Pioneer AVH-4200NEX w/GPS driving 400 Watt Kenwood amp
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy from DFW (Dallas Fort Worth) area, I own a 2000 Honda Passport (Isuzu Rodeo) V6 4X4 automatic 154k miles with no rust (except for the exhaust), 50 foot Black paint with tan leather powered seats from a 2004 Rodeo, Pioneer AVH-4200NEX DVD AV Receiver with GPS, Kenwood 400 watt 4 channel amp driving two 6/1/2 inch speakers with separate dome tweeters in the front doors, and two 6x9 speakers mounted in the tail gate door, and in the back RH storage compartment is a 1500 watt Boss amp driving an 8 inch Pioneer freeair Subwoofer. All 5 doors are lined with Dynamat.

All LED's inside and out, because LED's draw so little current I have modified the Headlight wiring so when the High beams are turned on the Low beams remain on, the Light Bar is wired to the fog lights which has also been modified to be able to be turned on while the High beams are on. It can turn the darkness into light.

I do have an intermittent ABS light, DTC code 21 G-sensor failure, I have replaced the EHCU resulting in the same issue, there are no other faults codes. It is my understanding the G-sensor is only on 4X4 and is internal to the EHCU, the code is set when the G-sensor reads more than .02 volts, any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciative.

Bill

Attachments

·
Registered
1989 Trooper R/S
4,231 Posts
Should call that the black beauty. That's a nice one. Where in the DFW area are you. I'm in Flower Mound.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Welcome

·
Registered
11,939 Posts
Howdy from DFW (Dallas Fort Worth) area, I own a 2000 Honda Passport (Isuzu Rodeo) V6 4X4 automatic 154k miles with no rust (except for the exhaust), 50 foot Black paint with tan leather powered seats from a 2004 Rodeo, Pioneer AVH-4200NEX DVD AV Receiver with GPS, Kenwood 400 watt 4 channel amp driving two 6/1/2 inch speakers with separate dome tweeters in the front doors, and two 6x9 speakers mounted in the tail gate door, and in the back RH storage compartment is a 1500 watt Boss amp driving an 8 inch Pioneer freeair Subwoofer. All 5 doors are lined with Dynamat.

All LED's inside and out, because LED's draw so little current I have modified the Headlight wiring so when the High beams are turned on the Low beams remain on, the Light Bar is wired to the fog lights which has also been modified to be able to be turned on while the High beams are on. It can turn the darkness into light.

I do have an intermittent ABS light, DTC code 21 G-sensor failure, I have replaced the EHCU resulting in the same issue, there are no other faults codes. It is my understanding the G-sensor is only on 4X4 and is internal to the EHCU, the code is set when the G-sensor reads more than .02 volts, any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciative.

Bill
If you replaced the ABS electronic module and still have the problem the only thing left that can cause an intermittent ABS Warning Lamp is a wheel sensor wiring problem or a problem involving the foot brake switch. Since the G switch only works during braking make sure the brake switch is not sending a false foot brake applied signal to the ABS module on Pin B5 of the ABS module connector. A misadjusted switch can produce a brake applied signal due to bumps in the road. I am thinking a foot brake applied signal with no closure the G switch might set the failure code.

·
Premium Member
2000 Honda Passport 4WD Automatic, Leather, Pioneer AVH-4200NEX w/GPS driving 400 Watt Kenwood amp
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Should call that the black beauty. That's a nice one. Where in the DFW area are you. I'm in Flower Mound.
in Bedford, not far from the airport

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you replaced the ABS electronic module and still have the problem the only thing left that can cause an intermittent ABS Warning Lamp is a wheel sensor wiring problem or a problem involving the foot brake switch. Since the G switch only works during braking make sure the brake switch is not sending a false foot brake applied signal to the ABS module on Pin B5 of the ABS module connector. A misadjusted switch can produce a brake applied signal due to bumps in the road. I am thinking a foot brake applied signal with no closure the G switch might set the failure code.
Thanks Buster
I have visually inspected all wheel speed sensors, electrical connectors and each sensor resistance values are within spec per the service manual. I previously looked at the brake switch, checked connections and continuity, all good. however after reading your post, then rereading the service manual -
"The G-sensor installed inside the EHCU detects the vehicle deceleration speed and sends a signal to the EHCU. In 4WD operation, all four wheels may be decelerated in almost the same phase, since all wheels
are connected mechanically. This tendency is noticeable particularly on roads with low friction coefficient, and the ABS control is adversely affected. The G-sensor judges whether the friction coefficient of road surface is low or high, and changes the EHCU’s operating system to ensure ABS control."
so, I am going to replace the brake switch.
thanks again Buster,

Attachments

·
Registered
11,939 Posts
It is possible to create a false brake applied signal due to a defective rear brake/tail lamp bulb or dirty/corroded bulb socket. Each rear brake/tail lamp bulb is a dual filament bulb with a common ground. If the common ground is removed due to a dirty/corroded bulb socket the two filaments are connected in series so when the the tail lamps are switched On the brake lamp circuit is powered by the tail lamp circuit. An intermittent ground connection in the socket is possible. Additionally, sometimes a bulb filament will break and touch the other filament connecting the two circuits together intermittently. Problems in the trailer wiring or controller can produce a similar false brake applied signal.

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I replaced the brake switch, have taken it for out for drives twice, so far so good, no light, keeping the fingers crossed.

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
On the third trip out the ABS light came on, the crossed finger technology apparently is ineffective :(

·
Registered
1989 Trooper R/S
4,231 Posts
in Bedford, not far from the airport
Nice, almost neighbors. Following your ABS issues. Had a 2000 Gen. 2 Amigo around 8 years ago with the same sounding issue, that I finally just couldn't fix so I deactivated it. Never had to make any panic stops where the ABS would have helped me stop.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts