Isuzu SUV Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1989 Isuzu Trooper II
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Finally getting around to pulling the engine out of this truck today. I hope the sorry SOB that designed this vehicle is dead and I hope he died a miserable death. That is all.

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
Finally getting around to pulling the engine out of this truck today. I hope the sorry SOB that designed this vehicle is dead and I hope he died a miserable death. That is all.
It's a bit tight in there, eh? It's quite a chore to get the intake manifold off without removing the head from the rig. You can do that, just remove intake/head/exhaust man as a unit. With that assy removed, the block is a bit "easier" to remove.

You'll need to drop the small stamped-steel oil pan at the bottom and then the oil pump screen will still drag on the x-member on the way out. I put a Ziploc bag over my 2.3's screen when I pulled it.

You can get more clearance at the x-member by dropping the entire front diff frame mount. (2) large bolts per side that go up into the frame. If your rig isn't too rusty, you can probably bust those loose and then the frame/diff/suspension will sag down a few inches and I'd expect the screen wouldn't drag.

It's what I had to do when working on the GM V6, because there was Less Than Zero clearance there when pulling the engine out, and the trans input shaft destroyed the fingers on the old clutch pressure plate. Not a problem going out, but couldn't have that destruction on the way in. Dropping the front diff gave plenty of clearance for the GM oil pan and to get the input shaft properly stabbed into the clutch.

AFAIK, BTW, the only way to get the intake man itself removed while still installed in the engine bay, is to pull the upper half and then the bolts holding the lower half on are more accessible.

HTH & Have Fun!..........ed

Reactions: mechanic58

·
Registered
1989 Isuzu Trooper II
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I pulled the engine out whole, but I dropped the front differential. It took about two minutes to do that. My main complaint is the fact that a 100 hp engine had 12 bolts in the bell housing. Absolutely ridiculous. Every single day on this planet there’s 1000 hp V8 engines somewhere going down a dragstrip with six bolts in the bell housing.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

this center bolt at the top of the bell housing is the one that really threw me for a loop. It is absolutely not visible from any angle and to add insult to injury there is a heater hose pipe that is clamped underneath of this bolt that also blocks head on access to the bolt from the rear. I ended up having to completely remove the motor mounts from the frame so that the engine would drop down low enough for me to be able to get in there on it with a long extension from behind after I bent the heater hose pipe all hell. I was ready to punch a baby by the time I got this thing out.

Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Bicycle tire

·
Registered
1989 Isuzu Trooper II
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Today I am going to explore the possibility of putting a small block Chevrolet in this. I believe that it will be a fairly straightforward retrofit. The transmission in this thing looks like something out of a school bus. I have no doubt that it will handle a small displacement small block Chevrolet without any issue. I have a 307 out of a 68 chevelle that would be a prime candidate. I’ll put a TPI setup on it.

·
Registered
1989 Isuzu Trooper II
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Bout as bad as it gets…

This is between three and four

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Water Wood Tread

And this is between one and two

Automotive tire Wood Water Rim Gas

I also like how they included an automatic detonation device in each combustion chamber…

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Automotive design Rim

21 - 27 of 27 Posts