Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought an 98 Rodeo last year that appears to have OEM keyless entry installed, but the previous owner didn't have the fobs for it. How can I get a replacement for them? I've seen cheap ones up on eBay that lists first gen rodeos and newer models like the Vehicross, but I imagine it would work for a 2nd gen like mine.

Here's the listing:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ISUZU-KE ... 0206816772

Anyone have an idea if it'd work, and how to program it to the car?

·
Registered
105 Posts
you can buy the keyfob and reprogram it quite easily. ( i think 40 bucks, which is what ebay wants for a keyfob is over priced, but to each his own)

edit: the link you show to ebay does not show to be compatible with your car so be careful

i got a keyfob when i bought a 98 parts rodeo, and programmed it to my '00 rodeo with no problems.

the one i have is a Denso with fcc id: hyq1512r

here are the instructions for doing it, which worked well for me.

Gizmo42 said:
I havent tried Tads method so dont know if it wipes out previous remotes.

This is from the FAQ

'98 - '02 Isuzu Rodeo and Trooper (with factory keyless entry) Instructions for programming

1. Get in car and make sure all doors are unlocked.
2. Open driver's door and leave open.
3. Put key in ignition.
4. Turn key to 'on position' (dash lights on, but do not start) and back to 'off position' 3 times in 5 seconds or less. (you must turn the key very fast)
5. Close and open driver's door 2 times in 5 seconds or less.
6. Turn key to 'on position' and back to 'off position' 5 times in 5 seconds or less. (turn key very fast)
7. Close and open driver's door the doors should lock and unlock twice after this happens push the lock or unlock button on the remote, doors will lock and unlock. Push the lock or unlock button a second time and doors will lock and unlock again.

You are finished! The above sequence erases all previous codes and adds the new code as #1.

If you are adding a second remote, you should follow the same sequence with the exception of step 6; instead of turning the key to the 'on position' and back to the 'off position' 5 times in 5 seconds or less, do it 3 times in 5 seconds or less and then continue to step 7. ***Remember to turn the key to the on and off position very fast.

ON= just before start position, dash lights on
OFF= all the way off to lock position, not ACC

·
Registered
11,467 Posts
the one i have is a Denso with fcc id: hyq1512r
This is the one you need for your '98. Just put hyq1512r into the search to find the right one then reprogram it. It can take quite a few tries before it works right sometimes.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Aha, thanks! The FCC ID worked like a charm for an eBay search. I'm going to add this to the 2nd Gen Rodeo wiki once my wiki account is approved.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I got the fob, and I'm trying to program it. I correctly did the sequence several times, and when I get it right, the doors just lock. They don't lock and unlock twice as the the last step indicates it should. At that point, pressing a button on the fob does nothing.

I thought this was pretty strange. I expected, perhaps, that I just won't get past being able to correctly do the voodoo dance to program the fob (why on earth isn't there a small hidden button on the control board...). Instead, I get this weirdness.

I haven't actually checked the batteries in the fob since receiving the unit in the mail...so that's always a possibility.

·
Registered
11,939 Posts
I used the procedure listed above to reprogram the keyless entry receiver on my 01 Rodeo Sport Ironman to use a Denso OEM remote with FCC ID HYQ1512R, I can confirm the procedure works as written and the remote code is correct.

If the doors did not lock and unlock twice the keyless entry receiver is not in program mode, so anything you do after that makes no difference.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Buster28 said:
If the doors did not lock and unlock twice the keyless entry receiver is not in program mode, so anything you do after that makes no difference.
Clearly it's recognizing the programming procedure, though. Could it be like an error code of some sort? Does anyone have the original source of the programming instructions?

I noticed that the locking action in my Rodeo is kind of prolonged. When they lock/unlock it seems like the actuators activate for too long. It feels like they actuate for probably a whole second as opposed to most cars' maybe 0.5s. I'll be trying a new battery today and post.

·
Registered
11,939 Posts
The procedure this the same as contained in my 01 factory service manual (FSM) except that the FSM indicates the doors will lock and unlock once when in program mode as opposed to twice. In any case, if the doors do not lock and unlock after turning the key 5 times and closing and opening the door once the FSM procedure sends you back to step one to start over.

You must make sure the door is completely closed to operate the door switch, since this is difficult to do quickly have a helper operate the door switch by hand.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I recently bought a used key fob for my '99 Amigo, and I can tell you that the programming sequence is a PAIN, but it does work and the instructions here are correct. However, it may well be worth spending $5 to put new batteries in the fob; I tried programming mine for 2 hours before deciding to replace the fob batteries. Once I did, it worked like a charm!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Forgot to post back! I checked the batteries in the thing and they were over 3V, so it's not that. I'm thinking when I did step 7 I opened the door too quickly (I'm only actually pressing and releasing the contact switch) and it canceled the sequence.

My fuel pump died yesterday so it's not doing anything until I get a new one in from the interwebs.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I used the procedure listed above to reprogram the keyless entry receiver on my 01 Rodeo Sport Ironman to use a Denso OEM remote with FCC ID HYQ1512R, I can confirm the procedure works as written and the remote code is correct.

Hey again buster 28 man your amazing im looking at this keyless remote on ebay Remote Car Key Fob 3 Button FCC ID: HYQ1512R for Isuzu Rodeo Trooper Axiom Amigo but it says “ chip without “ im not sure if I should order it as I have no old remote it says it fits and all that but it’s dirt cheap $14.00 if you think it’ll work I’d take a shot and try ? What you think ?

·
Registered
11,939 Posts
Hey again buster 28 man your amazing im looking at this keyless remote on ebay Remote Car Key Fob 3 Button FCC ID: HYQ1512R for Isuzu Rodeo Trooper Axiom Amigo but it says “ chip without “ im not sure if I should order it as I have no old remote it says it fits and all that but it’s dirt cheap $14.00 if you think it’ll work I’d take a shot and try ? What you think ?
FCC ID: HYQ1512R is the correct number and should work if you have a factory installed alarm system

1 - 14 of 14 Posts