Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to 'The Car Connection' website, Isuzu will be showing a new model at the Los Angeles International Autoshow, in January. This is great news, as it proves that Isuzu is really going to stay in the passenger vehicle business in the U.S. While no details were given, I have to assume that this will be a version of the MU-7, which is popping up on various foreign language websites. It is a very good looking SUV, and will be a welcome replacement for the Envoy/Trailblazer/Rainier/Saab 9-7X based Ascender. Hopefully, Isuzu won't repeat its mistakes of the last decade, and offer only a handfull of models, without ever updating them. In related news, the Thai government is lobbying Congress to repeal the "Chicken Tax", which places high tariffs on foreign made pick-up trucks. If this 40 year old law is overturned, Thailand produced trucks will be made available to American market. With Thailand being the second largest producer and second largest market for pick-ups, they will benefit greatly. As most of Isuzu's passenger vehicle production takes place in Thailand, we American fans of Isuzu should also benefit from this legislation.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Great news indeed.

Pick-ups aren't the issue of real importance. Diesel is the most pressing issue right now along with.....

ISUZU thriving with capable off-road vehicles in the US market.

Cheers,

·
Registered
110 Posts
Exactly....if they introduce the MU-7 in North America with the sweet 3.0 TDi diesel, it could certainly be...a contender.

Like I said in an earlier post, I saw these things all over Thailand a few weeks ago (the ThaiRung Adventure with Isuzu nameplate and front grille), but when I finally checked my pics I had only one crappy shot taken from a speeding Thai taxi...thus no image post.

But in person, the MU-7 (they really need a new name) is a very good looking SUV/MPV. Sharp, modern, and still very much truck-like. An excellent expedition vehicle I would think; available in some 130 countries, larger than the Bighorn/Trooper, and by all accounts very tough.

BH

·
Premium Member
3,580 Posts
The Isuzu MU-7

^^^ If they would just do something about that rounded 3rd window. - Ok and ^^^ maybe the back too.
Some people may actually like the styling cues... I just don't happen to be one of them. :roll:

A while back, I did a little playing around with a photo of the Quad-Cab D-Max...

...Is it just me, or does anyone else out there like this version better too?

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I'm still not clear on why Volkswagen has a full line of succesful diesels operating in the US market, and that Mercedes is reintroducing it's diesel to the the US market, and that Ford and Dodge have full size diesels, and that GM has the ISUZU Duramax, and that ISUZU has a full line of medium duty 4-cyl diesels (millions of them) in it's box-truck series....... why no diesels in any other SUV-class vehicles?

Cheers,

·
Registered
591 Posts
LTC Don said:
...ISUZU has a full line of medium duty 4-cyl diesels (millions of them) in it's box-truck series....... why no diesels in any other SUV-class vehicles?

Cheers,
Good point Don. Maybe it's got someting to do with 'emissions' standards between medium duty & light/passenger duty trucks. It's possible the little 'Zu diesels dont make the grade yet? (for passenger vehicels) I dunno :? ??

Joel

·
Registered
110 Posts
Not likely...most 4cyl Isuzu diesels are among the cleanest diesels out there. Newer Zu diesels are pretty much THE cleanest diesels available...but it is a bit of a mystery.

BH

·
Registered
7,543 Posts
this one is easy- OIL companies/politicians
in the US the smaller pickups get about 16-24 mpg, image having a clean burning diesel that gets 30-40 mpg..less stops at the fuel stations (could have said gas station, but it is diesel) means less money in their pockets. They taxed the Hell out of import trucks (aka Chicken tax) so if you wanted to get better fuel economy and cleaner emissions, you had to spend more. Everyone i know that wants a new pickup wants to get a mini diesel (d-max preferrably, although i like the styling of the Colorado more). I know if i was to sell my truck, i would be inline for a new diesel crewcab pup. As always in the US, it comes down to money and how well the palms are greased. "OH the enviroment" BS, if they want cleaner air, bring in a clean burn diesel, but noooooooooooo they want us to put our cars on million dollar treadmills (that cost tax payers) and run "testing" on the cars emissons on a virtual road driving. Funny that they didnt work the first few months and the weather caused false readings and made you get unnecessary repairs (at state certified emissions repair facility). Diesels- dont need to do this testing (right now, only for excessive smoke), so less money in it for the state (read as -politicians).
How many times have you seen a transit bus spewing out exhaust from their diesels that dont have a single person in there. Atleast the newer buses use clean air technology and you dont see the exhaust, so they have to be cleaner= better for the enviroment. I'll ditch my gas truck for a diesel conversion/new d-maxx to help with air polution :) just bring in the technology.....

·
Registered
51 Posts
As much as I love isuzus... Would any of you really plunk down oh say $35K-40k on a brand new SUV with like 200 dealers nationwide?

I couldn't justify it personally.

-mike

·
Registered
7,543 Posts
got a dealership 2 miles from me and have been an Isuzu dealership for a while. Only time will tell. If it shares anything with the GM platform (ASSender or Colorado), the GM dealerships might be able to cover the warranty issues. And also this is why they lease vehicles for 300 a month (4 year lease=14,400.00) :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
lowzone said:
got a dealership 2 miles from me and have been an Isuzu dealership for a while. Only time will tell. If it shares anything with the GM platform (ASSender or Colorado), the GM dealerships might be able to cover the warranty issues. And also this is why they lease vehicles for 300 a month (4 year lease=14,400.00) :)
GM dealers will fix em, but it won't be under warranty as far as I know.

-mike

·
Registered
110 Posts
I wouldn't be too worried about warranty issues; no car company is going to re-enter a market without a solid dealer base and the ability to handle warranty claims. Isuzu has been streamlining its US operations; fewer dealers etc. but this won't leave future new owners high and dry. They'll have a solid support/dealer network in place before the MU-7 ever hits US shores.

More of a concern is the lack of a lineup to go with it. Where is the short wheelbase version? Where is the Off-Road Extreme edition? Where is the all new Impulse 2dr 4WD ITurbo coupe? Where is the new Gemini 4dr sedan? Where is the full pickup truck line-up?

Perhaps they will sell the D-Max and MU-7 alongside commercial trucks for fleet sales, or perhaps they will import Jackeroos from Holden and Rodeos from the UK to sell alongside the new MU?

Who knows....

BH

·
Registered
51 Posts
bighorn said:
I wouldn't be too worried about warranty issues; no car company is going to re-enter a market without a solid dealer base and the ability to handle warranty claims. Isuzu has been streamlining its US operations; fewer dealers etc. but this won't leave future new owners high and dry. They'll have a solid support/dealer network in place before the MU-7 ever hits US shores.

More of a concern is the lack of a lineup to go with it. Where is the short wheelbase version? Where is the Off-Road Extreme edition? Where is the all new Impulse 2dr 4WD ITurbo coupe? Where is the new Gemini 4dr sedan? Where is the full pickup truck line-up?

Perhaps they will sell the D-Max and MU-7 alongside commercial trucks for fleet sales, or perhaps they will import Jackeroos from Holden and Rodeos from the UK to sell alongside the new MU?

Who knows....

BH
Haaa funny, I don't know any dealers that would pickup Isuzu as a brand. Unfortunately I think they are finished here in the states.... :(

-mike

·
Registered
10 Posts
TroopTad - I must disagree with you on the V8. I often thought that what was missing from my Trooper [aside from quality and dealer support, of course] was a lack of power. When you look at other, similar SUVs most offer a 4.0 or larger V6 and several offer a small 4.6-5.0 liter V8. At one point, prior to my recent loss of tranny and temporary warranty reprieve, I was looking to see if I could fit one of those small V8s in place of my oil-leaking 3.5. I realize now; however, that I am living on borrowed time quality-wise and am searching for a suitable replacement for the Trooper and it will have one of those small V8s. The problem I am having is despite the quality issues, I find myself often saying I wish there was a 2005 [true Isuzu not GM Trailblazer]Trooper on the market with that ever elusive small V8. While somewhat discouraged, I will keep looking until my 2000 Trooper becomes a memory!

·
Registered
141 Posts
All I need to do to point to the power doubters is reference my 1800 mile trip towing a 3500 lbs sailboat to key west. What do you need more power for? I consisently out-pulled my buddy's Z71. I've moved small BUILDINGS on 7000lbs triple axle flatbed trailers with mine. (Small distance but uphill and nothing broke either). The trooper isn't a sports car.

Sorry, its got plenty of power for its gearing.

For other vehicles that have been successful without a V8 model please reference the Nissan Xterra. Can't say that you don't see more than a couple out there. This is why I say it needs to be priced competively.

Sorry about your leaky 2000 trooper. My 2000 VX and old 1993 Trooper never leaked oil, and my tranny lasted till 210k miles before it needed work. I'm not the only one that will vouch for the quality and durability of zu's either.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I regularly tow with my trooper (about 10,000 miles + a year) my race-car trailer weighing in at about 5000lbs. And the trooper while it CAN tow it, doesn't tow it terribly well. I have upgraded the tires, struts, torsion bars, and rear springs as well as added an airbag helper in the rear and it's "acceptable" now, but for any new trooper to compete, you need a V8...

Look at the Toyota 4-runner with the V8, and all the american cars with V8s. It may not "need" a V8 but in order to actually sell to the US public it needs that v8 badge on it. Remember why Isuzu went under in the first place, not cause their trucks were bad, or badly priced, but because they weren't what the US public wanted to buy.

I'm leaning toward the Armada but still need to test drive.

-mike

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The service manager, at my local dealership says that there will be a new "Trooper" in 06, with 7-passenger seating. A new "Rodeo" will follow in 07, as a 5-passenger, short-wheelbase version of the "Trooper" platform. The names are not finalized yet. I cannot imagine Isuzu using the "Trooper" moniker again, especially with the tip-over controversy. "Rodeo" is a great name, and they should have never let this great model wither and die. LA and Detroit are weeks away, so we'll have a clearer picture of Isuzu's American future.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.