Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my trooper has a cool story. My grandfather was the original owner. He put a little over 172k miles on it and kept it all stock so its in great shape! Grandpa even kept a hand written log of ALL the service done to it the entire time he owned it!!. I learned to drive in it when I was like 10 years old in the New Mexico desert! It sat for 2 years at his house in NM until late last year. I asked about it and he said I could have it. I towed it home to California and got it running. Its a 1989, 2.6 auto trans. Had to clean the gas tank, new hoses, vacuum lines, o2 sensor, etc and it runs good. Put some 1.5 inch lift shackles, t-bar crank and ball joint spacers with new upper and lower ball joints, rancho shocks, and some 31s. Planning on using it as the camping rig since I'm building a rock crawler for gnarly trail use.

Attachments

·
Registered
1989 Trooper R/S
4,190 Posts
Welcome here, great story and a nice looking Trooper. I also have an 89. First thing I would suggest would be to look over the records to see if the valves have been adjusted. That would be one of the first things I would do. And while you have the valve cover off check the torque on the head bolts. Don't loosen them, just set the torque wrench to around 72 foot lbs and pull till it clicks, starting in the middle and working toward the ends. Also these engines are known to have head gasket issues so pay attention to the engine temp. they don't react well to being over heated.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Awesome! I just got my 172K 2.6L thru emissions. They said "it's basically running with no emissions", which doesn't mean anything to me except it must be running good! I agree with the other posts, it's still an old rig, time to check out all the hoses, belts, valve adjustments, bleed brake fluid, antifreeze, etc. etc. Treat it well and these things should go a long time!

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
very nice...your ride looks to be in great shape.....sweet.....

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
Looks Great! Wish we had your beautiful weather up here in the PNW! Last time I drove my Trooper was in the snow.

But hey, we're still far warmer than 2 deg F, as in Texas!! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
681 Posts
Nice rig. I'm curious if you can expound a bit on your lift. What parts you used, where you sourced them, cost etc.

Also curious about the wheels. Where they on there when you got it or did you source them. Kind of exactly what I am looking for.

Regards,
Alan

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
giusedtobe said:
Nice rig. I'm curious if you can expound a bit on your lift. What parts you used, where you sourced them, cost etc.

Also curious about the wheels. Where they on there when you got it or did you source them. Kind of exactly what I am looking for.

Regards,
Alan
I used ball joint spacers and did the ball joint flip. I also did heavy duty steering and rancho shocks. The torsion bars were cranked for lift. The rear has lift shackles. Parts sourced from independent4x.com. i also did new axles and CVs. I had a local shop do the work as my driveway barely fits my vehicles and my Hoa would have a fit if i did the work at home. the wheels are from procomp. The vehicle was all stock when I picked it up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.