Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The spark plug came out again, the helicoil didnt hold again. Im down to 2 options, 1- buy a new head. 2- buy the BigSert kit from Timesert. What do yall think? my local mechanic down the street said find someone to steal it and demolish it, he was kidding, anywayz, which way sounds better?

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
What does the bigsert cost? I mean I priced a timesert insert for the EGR pipe and the kit was over $200. You can get a head for $350 + $75 core and probably $20 in shipping, which seems like a decent idea if, especially if you would do the head swap yourself. Labor on a head swap isn't cheap though, so the bigsert might be cheaper.

-Tad

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
firefighterjohn2001 said:
The spark plug came out again, the helicoil didnt hold again. Im down to 2 options, 1- buy a new head. 2- buy the BigSert kit from Timesert. What do yall think? my local mechanic down the street said find someone to steal it and demolish it, he was kidding, anywayz, which way sounds better?
Ahhh, firefighter, believe me I know you hate the "head" word. I sure do, and I'm sure every 2.6 owner on the planet does too.

If you're planning on keeping the rig for a extended period of time, go with the head. If you go with the sert, and if you're like me, every time you take off down the road you'll be wondering if it's going to pop out again. And it probably will sooner or later.

When ever I get a day or two of sun for my open-air garage, (driveway) I'm replacing a perfectly functional camshaft for that exact reason. When I got mine from a guy down the street it had tossed a timing belt. The usual busted head, bent valves, broken rockers etc. Also the pin that runs through the cam sproket into the cam must have been made out of pretty good stuff because it wallowed out the hole for the pin pretty good. At the time I was getting really tired of the total price for this going up and up, so decided to wedge the thing in there. Worked good, has for a year, but every time I take off, that's all I can think about. Heh, replacing the timing belt every summer weather it needs it or not. Yep, I hate the "head" word.

As for as the steal and demolish thing, that's a option that did'nt seem to bad at one point in time.

Luck with it.

Jim

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.