Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Isuzu Trooper
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 1996 Trooper. The rear differential is howling. I discovered it has water in it. The ring/pinion are obviously shot. Id like to look for a used pumpkin (is that term still used?) before I remove the old one that's still working. Does this plate tell me what the ratio is and and if it has positraction? How do I decode this? Is there another way to get the specs on this vehicle?
Fixture Automotive exterior Rectangle Gas Font

·
Registered
1996 Isuzu Trooper
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Me again. Info popped up saying I have a 4.30 Dana axle. Maybe someone please confirm?
There's no tag on the front or rear differential.
Still very interested to know if it has positraction.

·
Registered
95 Pickup, 98 Amigo
233 Posts
You have a 4.56, no positraction, Isuzu 12 bolt diff, which is essentially a reinforced Dana 44 made by Isuzu. The Dana 44 that came on rodeos and amigos and is not compatible.

What you want is a pre 98 trooper 3rd member, and look for the "G80" code on the Vin plate. G80 means torsen LSD, aka isuzu "positrac"

·
Super Moderator
2,351 Posts
You have a 4.56, no positraction, Isuzu 12 bolt diff, which is essentially a reinforced Dana 44 made by Isuzu. The Dana 44 that came on rodeos and amigos and is not compatible.

What you want is a pre 98 trooper 3rd member, and look for the "G80" code on the Vin plate. G80 means torsen LSD, aka isuzu "positrac"
Several errors here. There is nothing Dana about that axle. It completely Isuzu. Also no Isuzu came with a Torsen LSD. They use clutch pack LSDs

·
Registered
95 Pickup, 98 Amigo
233 Posts
****, I apologize. Not sure where my scatter brain picked that information up from.

Let me correct myself. The Isuzu 12 bolt you have is stronger than a dana 44. And with the G80 option code (which unfortunately yours doesn't have, but is easy to find at a junkyard) you can get a clutch-pack limited slip. A great little upgrade over your stock open diff.

·
Registered
1996 Isuzu Trooper
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks gentlemen. Big help.
So please confirm ALL Troopers from 1981 to 1998 have same ratio? 4.56?

·
Registered
95 Pickup, 98 Amigo
233 Posts
You'll want 88-97

Here's a link with some more info, see Isuzu Corp 12-bolt (rear)

edit: and here's a link to the option code list (5th post). Your code HC6 denotes the 4.56 gear ratio

1 - 7 of 7 Posts