Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I'm looking to buy a Trooper in the next month or so. I've worked on and owned a lot of cars, just never a Japanese vehicle (or an SUV for that matter). I like the first generation and early second generation troopers, so I got a pretty good range to choose from. The problem is I can't find any early ones close to here (northwest Indiana). The second problem is that I prefer manual transmissions.

The purpose of the vehicle will be a workhorse while I fix up some other crap I own. Is there anything I need to look out for on these vehicles. I don't care too much about rust, as long as it's not severe. Also, how much is too much to spend? I was figuring around 2500.

Appreciate the replies

--Chris

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
From what I have seen a manual transmission should not be too hard to find.

Again, in my experience, $2500 should get you a very very nice trooper. As in no rust, straight body and new cylinder head.

Speaking of cylinder heads, on the 4 poppers that seems to be the part that gives the most people trouble. Take a look in the "Drivetrain Problems" forum. It seems like every second post is about a cylinder head problem of one type or another... This shouldn't be show stopper, but something to keep in mind.

·
Premium Member
4,350 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys,

that reminds me, what kind of mileage is to be expected? I'll probably try to stick with the V6 because I'll be towing at some point or another.

What's a good place (besides craigslist) to look for one?

·
Registered
188 Posts
I've owned both the 2.6 troop, and the 2.8. I haven't driven the 2.8 troop much, but I had a girlfriend some time back who had a S-10 with the same engine, and it was one of those trucks that fell apart around it's engine.... It had well over 200k on the clock, before the speedometer/odometer stopped working, and it still ran like it was new.

The 2.8 engine has iron heads, not aluminum, so less head gasket problems, and you can't walk through a salvage yard without tripping over five 2.8 engines. Lots of spares, lots of upgrades, like putting a 4.3 TBI on it, or dressing it up with some Fiero valve covers. It has a timing chain not a belt, and as a rule, parts for that engine are far cheaper, and you won't have to order and wait for parts for days. (Since it's a chevy motor used in a lot of S-10's and Blazers, there are a lot of them.)

IMO, the V6 trooper would be the best of both worlds! You get the badass 4x4 capabilities, ladder frame, tough front suspension and strong axles of a Trooper, but the reliability, ease of repair, simplicity, and durability of a chevy pushrod V6. Can't lose.

·
Registered
7 Posts
What's the tow rating on the V6 Trooper? I would guess if it's the same engine that was on the Blazer that it could tow a small boat fine or anything under 5,000 pounds or is it more like 3,500 pounds? It seems like there are lots of SUVs that have a tow rating around 5,000 which is good for cargo trailers and small boats but may not be enough for the boats over 20ft and heavily loaded trailers.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I looked at the trooper listed in Louisville way back in March. Lets just say it photographs well.

Its a nice ride but no where near what he was asking for it at the time $3200.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
i'd search craigslist in states like arizona,new mexico this way you get a rust free truck, fly down and drive it back

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's an interesting idea. My parents live out in northern california. I might be able to find something there. I did that drive back to Chicago last year (in an 84 vw rabbit diesel). Kind of sucks, but I do feel the older vehicles are in better shape over there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
New guy here from Arizona. Just saw a new craigslist post for a anniversary edition Trooper at a good price. I'm kicking myself in the butt since I just picked up a 2001 Rodeo. Az vehicle, no rust.

2001 Isuzu Trooper, Super Clean, Anniversary Edition, 4x4, by original owner. Has good tires, new brakes, tow package. detachable roof rack, never used, that comes with it. 120k $4750

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/2428428232.html

·
Registered
555 Posts
hitbyastick said:
That's an interesting idea. My parents live out in northern california. I might be able to find something there. I did that drive back to Chicago last year (in an 84 vw rabbit diesel). Kind of sucks, but I do feel the older vehicles are in better shape over there.
Im from Northern California originally and I can tell you,the kind of rust that you see in states where they salt the roads is unknown there. I had a 1968 Volvo. The paint had rusted through years before I got it. The guy I got it from got it 10 years before I had it adn told me the paint was already worn away like that. It had a light coat of surface rust but that was it. Nothing like the rot you find here in Utah.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Note:
All overhead cam engines are complicated and expensive to repair. Same goes for automatic transmissions. Neither will tolerate low quality oil or infrequent oil changes.
The big advantage with the 89 thru 91 first generation troopers is an endless supply of inexpensive repair parts and complete upgrade engines.
John in LV

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.