Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pruchased a 2000 Trooper that had an engine problem two months later.

The crankshaft bearing went out and I got a brand new engine ... yeah!

I have a small issue with the new setup. If I am running at lets say, 60 mph and floor the accelerator to pass someone, the rpms kick up to 3,000 as normal but then drop down to 2,900. This happen in most situations with full throttle drop downs. It seems as though I am catching the torque converter "off guard."

Any ideas where to look for the problem. My Isuzu mechanic tells me the whole system is electronic. Another told me it may be cable driven.

Help.

·
Registered
591 Posts
My 2002 rodeo does that also. I dunno if it's the EGR coming on full force at WOT, or the variable length runner setup in the intake finding it's place. The 1998+ 3.2 & 3.5 are all throttle by wire & the tranny is completely electronic. The TC's on these 4L30E's unlock & lock back up at even very subtle throttle changes- so at WOT, it's been unlocked for awile. Hard to tell anymore with the electronics on these rigs!
G/luck
Joel

·
Registered
591 Posts
Randy- I believe that is the ion sensing module. It's on all 2000+ 3.2/3.5's It uses the spark plugs to measure the electrical resistance of the gasses in the cylinders (when the plugs are not firing) & then adjusts spark timing accordingly. It's supposed to help reduce knock & emissions. This is one of the reasons 2000+ are SO sensitive to spark plug brand. You can only use NGK's or denso's. I think that ion sensing setup makes these engines do whats described in the origial post at WOT as well. You can feel it "adjust".
Joel

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.