Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the new car itch and it burns and am wanting to get something new and have the funds to do so but also wanting to keep what I have and fix up. My dilema (sp) is, I have a 98 f-150 as my dd and then the trooper is my after work and weekend driver. I love driving my trooper and would do so if the motor wasnt so weak and it didnt get such bad gas milage. If I do a motor swap on the trooper I want to be able to drive this thing to new york with the family if I wanted to and not have to worry about anything. Now there are some other things that need to be done to it to here and there but its still pretty solid.
So, buy something new or spend 3-4 thousand and keep my trooper. would that be enough for a crate motor and everything new on the motor. IE... tbi and everything needed for swap. I will not be doing this myself so take that into consideration.
What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
IMHO, I'd fix up the trooper. I don't know if you intend to finance the new car, but personally, I HATE interest! I have vowed to NEVER buy a NEW car again unless I win the lottery! And THAT won't happen because I don't buy tickets!

But think about it. Fixing up the trooper will probably take care of the new car itch. And let's say a new car costs $25k. It would take a LOOOONG time for the fuel savings to make up the $20k difference!

We bought my wife's 07 Tahoe brand new in October of 2007. That $550 per month HURTS! lol!

Nothing is more beautiful than a "paid for" ride! I think your trooper looks SHARP, and if my wife didn't love her Tahoe so much, I'd trade ya!!

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am leaning toward crate engine instead of new vehicle because its alot cheaper then a new car. Anyone that has done the swap have you had any better gas milage with the swap?

·
Registered
48 Posts
With a 3.4 swap, expect 14-17 mpg. My [otherwise] stock Trooper averages 15.8 mpg. Congrats on the financial solvency - that's not something I see often enough where I'm from. Anyways, whatever you do, just be sure to account for some time to takes LOTS and LOTS of pics once that sweet sweet swap goes in the Troop.

You are going for the swap, right?

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
The crate alone is just over $2000.
TBI Kit From me is $375 but you can save here if you have the means to do it yourself.
New Clutch and flywheel is $400, less if you go stock replacement.
The only other things you need to buy are replacement parts from stuff that is worn and some gaskets.

My job costs are all broken down on my website to the last dollar.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Better you did a rebuild right? Also, its looking more like closer to 5k cause I will not be doing the work although I might be able to trade out some work for the installation but thats no gaurantee. I will check out your website to see if I can get a better idea of estimated cost.

·
Registered
9,936 Posts
Your Trooper is gorgeous. Do not sell it!!!

I also will never buy a new car again! Payments suck, and the depreciation is horrible!! Isuzu would have to respawn and rerelease brand new VXes for me to ever even think about a new car.

Bart

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
TBI is a form of Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI).

I think you want Port Fuel Injection which would fall under MPFI or SFI. This was found on the Camaro when it used the 3.1L and 3.4L. The 3.1L was batch fire Multi Port Fuel Injection which GM called MPFI. The 3.4L had Sequential Port Fuel Injection (SFI). SFI got slightly better fuel efficiency.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
my main reason for sfi or mpfi is better gas milage and for the truck to run better. It could be that my tbi is jacked up but mine seems to run alot like a carborated engine. I dont know alot about the stuff under the hood, I can do a lift and simple stuff but when it comes to the engine I would rather not mess anything up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts