Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished install of my Aisin manual hubs. I followed this useful writeup: http://www.4x4wire.com/isuzu/tech/manualhubs/

They look good! (pictures to come), but I got to the end and tried spinning my wheel with the hubs in "free" and it feels like it moves a little more freely but it looks like the cv's are still spinning. So, I put the truck back down and started it and put it in neutral and rolled it a few feet, and the cv's look like they are still spinning, whether the hubs are in "locked" or free".

So, what could I have done wrong? or do the cv's still spin some in "free" on late model isuzus?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmm< what should I be looking for to fix it?

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I've had the pleasure of swapping these about 20 times from junkyard verhicles and its common to find them in very gunky condition. Sometimes, the clutch assembly will come loose from the spring and stay put in the "lock" position and may need to be pried out of there.

Does it turn super easy now? Like it isn't moving anything?

A quick removal of the 6 10mm bolts should allow you to gently pull away the dial and see is the clutch is still attached. You'll know right away.

If it has separated, you'll need to pull the clutch gear out and put it back together. If the spring has come out, this can be a nerve-racking excersize in patience. It threads around it's retainer piece and into the clutch. Easier said than done! You can pull the other side out to study how it is put together. Took me over an hour the first time, but now it's about 5 - 10 minutes.

Let us know what you find out!

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
Yeah, the spring has pulled away form the gear that engages the hub

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ah, light bulb there. The spring popped out on me when installing and i just sort of threaded it back in there anyolway. So i guess thats probably my problem.
Know of any good pictures of how it is supposed to look when i put it back together?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys, got it fixed. Had to rethread the spring to the clutch on One side (minor PIA). Now the cvs do not spin in free, as it should be. Just in time too, my cv bOot is ripping after just 3 months lifted after putting new boots on! Argh.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.