Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a 2.6L '94 Amigo last week. The body and paint are really in pretty good condition though the milage is a little high (194K). It has a few little fixes that I'll take care of to get it road worthy: A missing bump-stop on the LR and matching broken leaf, Rotten flex joint in the exhaust, and a rotten soft top( where is a good place to get a new top?)and a few other trim items.
We already made a trip to the boneyard and managed to grab a armload of stuff for it. I got an ashtray, some grille clips, a center cap, dome light, 2 rear speakers, 4x badges, a after market hard top, and a "4x4 of the year" dash badge for the trooper, all for $33.

I'm planning to let my daughter drive it when she gets her license next summer. She's a little apprehensive about the 5 speed, but we're making progress driving it around the pasture. We've been concentrating on cleaning it up, I don't think it has been cleaned inside for several years. :roll: I'll post some pics soon.

The previous owner tells me the clutch and timing belt were recently replaced. Is there anything else particular to this model that I need to be aware of?

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
Congrats on the new acquisition. Can't wait for current and future pics.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We had a little Daddy/Daughter time scrubbing down the interior. Man! was it ever grubby!

All clean inside

I got in a little trouble for this one. Until she saw a rodeo at school with the badge upside down

The bumper was tweaked upward so I decided to loosen the bolts to straighten it. well 3 of the 4 broke off.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
nice addition, looks like a good project for you two. Enjoy the project with your daughter.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
very cool :)
I would get a hard top for it, if you have to buy new it will probably cost as much as the truck did :shock:
I'll keep my eyes out for ya ;)

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Man, I would have loved to have something like that when I was a teenager. Looks like fun.

·
Registered
131 Posts
That's pretty nice!
Man it's crazy seeing it though. Other than the wheels, chrome (mirrors and bumpers) and having the tach (being an XS model), that looks EXACTLY like mine when I first got it! Same horrible (in my opinion) Amigo lettering on the side. Same seats with the vinyl back, speaker covers (I always wondered if they were factory that way), brings back some memories...
At least your previous owner didn't have wheel caps covering the locking hubs.

For the tops, here's a couple of spots with the lower prices I've seen... ~ $335:
http://tops4less.com/softtops4.html
http://www.jcwhitney.com/replay-samurai ... d=11477503

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
off_road_4_me said:
I would get a hard top for it, if you have to buy new it will probably cost as much as the truck did :shock:
I found a black hard top at the boneyard for $25. It needs a couple of fixes, but seems to be structurally sound. She's not to wild about the hard top look though. I brought it home anyway. It will keep the snow out this winter.

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Donner said:
off_road_4_me said:
I found a black hard top at the boneyard for $25. It needs a couple of fixes, but seems to be structurally sound. She's not to wild about the hard top look though. I brought it home anyway. It will keep the snow out this winter.
I think they are kind of funky looking too... kind of remind me of an old man's hopcap on the back of their pickup truck.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
congrats!!! should be a great time getting it together and an awesome first vehicle... I had a crappy GrandAm ugh...

cheers

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I cant believe I left you guys hanging by not updating this!
Well She's driving it now. We eventually replaced all the ball joints and steering linkage, exhaust system(that was a real treat), rear springs( one was broke) with urethane spring bushings and Calmini lift shackles. Found her a set of 'Flakes and put a new set of 32" Guard Dogs on them.
She didn't like the hard top and I eventually bought a new soft top.
I'll get some pic's asap

·
Registered
793 Posts
good to see the family working on car together, wish my dad could've done something similar with me...

·
Registered
586 Posts
We put new rear shocks on last weekend and I finally took a few pics.
'Zus Feb 2012 002.jpg

'Zus Feb 2012 003.jpg

'Zus Feb 2012 004.jpg

'Zus Feb 2012 005.jpg

'Zus Feb 2012 007.jpg

Attachments

Reactions: recon

·
Registered
793 Posts
she is a pretty mechanic !

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Outstanding! I hope to have the same type of experience with my soon-to-be 16 year old daughter.

I think that wheel/tire/lift combo is perfect. Looks great!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts