Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since I drove my first Subaru through a winter here in WA I swore up and down I'd never own another fwd car if I didn't have to. And I've never...ever owned a Honda hated them to be honest...lol, owned a few VW's though. Well...I buddy of mine who is a complete mechanical newb had bought himself a 93 Honda Civic VX hatch about 5 years ago. It had high miles when he bought it with a rebuilt motor, and was a theft recovery so the center dash panel and both door cards were messed up. But, it had some cool aftermarket goodies on it like some rims, intake, and header with wrap. I looked at it 5 years ago and gave him the go ahead to buy it cause all he was looking for was a good commuter. Fast forward to 9 months ago and the car was having issues, wouldn't run right, and wouldn't stay running long enough for him to jump it with a "jump box" and close the hood so he parked it...lol. Fast forward to last week and I went up to Belingham to help him move the last of his stuff home and look at this car since we was gonna either scrap it...or sell it to me if I could get it running and drive it home. Popped in a new battery, and what do ya know it started right up and idled...well ok for the most part...lol.

So I drove the thing home while he drove the van we had borrowed home, it used a half of it's !!9 gal tank!! for the 3.5 (about 200 miles) hour drive home so that's about 44 MPG!!. It needs some work, some from sitting for so long, and more from not having it's maintenance since he doesn't know the meaning of the word...lol.

I got a hold of a new dash piece for 20 bucks, and installed it today!!
Put my stereo in it
Cleaned the air filter
Ran a can of cleaner through the tank

For now that's it, I plan on doing a full break job, tune up, oil change within the next few weeks.

If anyone has any advice on these little cars feel free to chime in, the fact that I have a DD that is fun to drive yet gets 44 mpg running like crap is AMAZING!! I totally see the draw behind these little cars now ;-)

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
Off topic, but your plate reminded me of something I was going to tell you at the swap meet...

You know how if you are on a road trip, sometimes you get a really bad feeling about an area, or a really good feeling.. And there is no explanation why...

I went to California a few years ago.

I got a really good feeling about the area around Umpqua, Oregon, when I was going past there.

And within Washington state, not so good, near Tacoma, and Olympia. But a pretty good feeling around Centralia.

That good feeling was still there, when I went to the meet.

You live in a pretty good area.

:D :D :D

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Selador AKA Tat said:
Off topic, but your plate reminded me of something I was going to tell you at the swap meet...

You know how if you are on a road trip, sometimes you get a really bad feeling about an area, or a really good feeling.. And there is no explanation why...

I went to California a few years ago.

I got a really good feeling about the area around Umpqua, Oregon, when I was going past there.

And within Washington state, not so good, near Tacoma, and Olympia. But a pretty good feeling around Centralia.

That good feeling was still there, when I went to the meet.

You live in a pretty good area.

:D :D :D
Well it's a pretty decent area still, it's starting to have it's issues...but I like it around here ;-)

·
Registered
484 Posts
This guy is hitting 100MPG with his.

http://www.aerocivic.com/

His bodywork isn't the prettiest, but it gets the results. Ecomodders.org has some good MPG tips for these. Some can be setup to switch between econo mode and sport mode.

My wife's '95 civic was one of the only 2 new cars I didn't really regret purchasing and was definitely one of the ones I regretted selling.

·
Registered
101 Posts
A lot of the "ricers" go crazy over the hatches. It seems that's the ones they want to do the engine swaps to, atleast around here anyway. I may end up driving something similar in a couple months since I'm starting a new job on Monday and will be driving much more than I do now.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, it's not a "racer" by any means the way it sits now. And I have no intentions of making it into one...lol. I'll clean it up, modify it to my tastes in terms of looks (I'm more into the autoX or "rally" look than the "tuner" thing), and get it running well...not the half way decent way it does now ;-)

·
Registered
297 Posts
They are all the rage over here in the UK with the newly licensed kids. They are cheap on insurance for young drivers.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts